Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A mother pigeon (young) with two babies came to me and I have never rehab a pigeon before. This was an abuse case where rats got into a cage. Mom defending her young got bit up pretty badly. I took her to my avian vet; she is on Baytril and he gave her fluids. I need to get her to eat. She is sucking up hydrating fluids. Should I tube feed her and if so, is the length of the tube about 7cm-I am so afraid of damaging her crop.
Help me please
707 570-6571
deborah
east side rescue
PS: The babies are doing great.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Yes you should tube feed her if she is unable to eat on her own. Can you ask the vet to show you how? You will need to buy the hand feeding formal for birds called Exact which is carried by most larger pet store. She will need 20 ml three times a day.
Keep in mind that if she has food in her crop from the previous feeding, you should not add more food but wait for the food to move out of her crop first.
The crop is located right below the throat and fills up like a little balloon with food when the Pigeon eat. When you feel it, it will feel kind of squishy.
The babies are eating on their own?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi Deborah,
Welcome to the forum. Use silicon tube 70 mm long 4 mm outside diameter, open beak and insert it for 30~40 mm past trachea opening. Soft tubing does not damage crop and if you lubricate it with olive oil it won’t irritate esophagus. Syringe plunger should be pressed slowly food to go down to crop.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Hi, you can call me if you need at 707-575-0603, I live in Santa Rosa. I haven't tube fed before but have a lot of experience raising babies. If you need help, or need me to take the babies and finish raising them while you're caring for mom, let me know. If mom turns out to be too injured to release, and you are unable to accommodate her, I can likely fit her in over here down the road. Thank for helping them! Let me know if I can help.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I did speak with Deborah and she is tube feeding the bird. She does know how, it has just been a while since she has used those skills and so she felt a little unsure. She will be fine. I just know it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts