Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have just joined this site having bought 6 white busscharts on December 8th 2008. They are all young and were ready to be homed - the breeder said they were approx. 5 weeks old. I am keeping them all together at the moment and letting them out most days for an hour or so to fly. 1 pair recently bred and are raising a squeaker which is 3 weeks old (one of their eggs got kicked out of nest and cooled). My problem today is that they have laid another 2 eggs (second egg arrived yesterday) but aren't sitting on them. They laid their first clutch in a nest on the ground of the aviary despite having a few nesting bowls sitting on shelves. This was a problem when one egg got kicked out. This time the hen laid her first egg in a different place on the floor (to be well away from her chick, I suspect). I removed this so that she wouldn't sit on it too soon. The second egg she laid close to her chick last night. When I returned the first egg, I placed them both in a nesting saucer where the second egg was laid with pine needles to avoid them being kicked away this time. A little later I found her briefly on the nest with the chick squeezed into the nest with her, making it impossible for her to cover the eggs completely, so I moved the chick to give her room. This frightened her off the nest and she did not return last night or this morning. I don't think she has warmed the eggs at all yet, but I don't know how to encourage her to go back. I removed the nest saucer and just sat the eggs on the floor on pine needles in the same place, hoping that this would be more to her liking being the way she hatched her last egg. No luck yet though. It is still only about 17 hours since second egg was laid. I suspect I went wrong by interfering. Any advice please? :

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Welcome.
Yes ...you figured it out. Pigeons don't take well to having their nest messed with and doing so will most often cause them to abandon the eggs.
When chicks hatch is best to leave them alone for a few days too, which can be hard because they are so darn interesting to look at.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. Did I also go wrong in removing the first egg until the second one was laid? I did this for her first clutch and there wasn't a problem that time.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Yes.
Always leave the eggs alone.

·
Registered
628 Posts
If you are in a cold climate, take the egg out and replace it with a wooden one to prevent it from freezing. After second one is laid put it back and take the wooden one away. They will never be the wiser. Make sure you remember to rotate the egg at least once, better twice, a day until you replace it. I agree that you probably lost your chance with these eggs. Doesnt sound like the hen will go back to them. I only take one egg out at a time when I candle them so as not to disturb the nest too much.
Ken

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Welcome! I experienced the same problem trying to be too nice by putting a nest bowl where the pigeon laid her eggs on the floor. She then just forgot the egg. Sometimes I attribute this to their immaturity.

Yes, your interference caused your problem. What I do on mine after the parents laid their eggs around 2 or 3 weeks after having babies is to get another bowl, place it near the original bowl and transfers the squeekers there. The parents then can incubate the new eggs while the babies are on the other corner. Or I just put another bowl and hopefully the parent will use the new bowl (usually they do) and leave the squeekers alone on their original bowl.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice and words of welcome everyone. I have removed the eggs now as the pair are hanging out in their canoodling spot on the top shelf of the loft again. Are they likely to breed again this season (it is the last month of summer here in Australia), or is it getting close to moulting time when I imagine they stop?
PS What a great site this is - so many helpful and friendly people! I was feeling a bit isolated with respect to pigeon fanciers until I discovered all you wonderful people (pigeon breeders are not really abundant here where I live; I have made moves to join the local pigeon racing club but they don't meet until May which is a bit of a wait when I have so many questions and when I can't, quite frankly, think of much else apart from my beautiful white babies. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have so many questions and when I can't, quite frankly, think of much else apart from my beautiful white babies. Cheers!
Anything that you would like to know just ask...There will be some answers to your curiosities...Each one here on PT will contribute or give some good advices for all your questions...Just be patience and everything will be alright for you...You will have your own observations when time come having some pigeons of your own...That's how we all learn here...I know I asked some crappy and way-off questions here before but I've learn alot from other members...

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Unless it is a young pair, or have no instincts they will keep the first egg warm enough to not freeze, but to not start incubating. My favorite roller pair have two squeeks in the nest, 5 days old, and it has been in the teens for weeks!
When i was flying homers i stared to breed Jan. 1st, and never had a problem, in fact cold weather seems to make healthier young.
Cold has never bothered my squeeks in the nest,as long as they have nesting material. BUT when it is warm, or hot, i always tended to see more problems.
Of course real young pairs can be stupid, but not normally, instinct is amazing!. dave.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi LUCKYT,
I believed those ages to be correct, but don't know enough to question them. The breeder took the birds from his young bird loft and said that they were all approx 5 weeks old - although the pair that has bred does seem to be more advanced than the others. They seemed to learn to fly quicker and be the leaders of the loft. 2 of the others appear to be more immature - one has only just started flying around the loft and the other hasn't taken off yet. Perhaps the age he gave me was only an average for last spring's offspring? The squeaker is indeed 3 weeks old - this is the only age I can be sure about! Why did you say they might not be homers?? This worries me a little, although they have been flying freely when I let them out of the loft and returning reliably for a month or more.
By the way, cold is not a problem here for me - heat is though! Last week we had a heat-wave of 5 days in a row of 45 degrees celsius - I was dipping the squeaker's beak in water to ensure he didn't expire!

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Well, if they were 5 weeks old, and you got them Dec. 8th, and you have 3 week old squeeks, do the math. That means they would have bred at what? Maybe 8 weeks? not possible. Also a pair old enough to breed, if they have any quality, would not settle. They are named homers for a reason. JMHO.
By the way i LOVE your country!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
della,

If they started breeding, then maybe they are 5 months old or older. Although I have seen two of my 4 weeks old babies mounting each other, they are not really 'doing' it.

With respect to heat wave, just give the birds a bath. They go crazy bathing! And it is fun to watch. Obviously you must have water in their drinker available everyday.

There are many nice people here--all helpful. We share the same passion. I freely share my experience or knowledge gained on those experiences. Obviously I share what I read, see, hear on the internet as well. You don't necessarily need to follow everything we say. Just your judgement. In fact I always assume my answers as guides.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts