Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am reading a fantastic NEW original book out written by a guy who knew nothing about pigeons but set out to learn... of course I have no ties to this book but I wanted to share because most of the pigeon books I have found are compilations of dry facts and are at least 50 years old.

It's called Pigeons: The Fascinating Saga of the World's Most Revered and Reviled Bird by Andrew D. Blechman.

You can find it on Amazon.com or in any of the bookstores.

Here's an excerpt from a review: "Today pigeons are found everywhere, from the queen of England's luxurious racing pigeon lofts to the garbage-strewn streets of every large city. Pigeons—gregarious, easily domesticated and capable of flying for hours at speeds of more than 100 mph—are interesting in their own right, but Blechman writes not so much about the birds themselves as about the people who either love or hate them. These include members of a New York City homing pigeon club who dedicate themselves to raising and racing pigeons; Queen Elizabeth's royal pigeon handler; breeders who spend years perfecting champion birds for show; gun enthusiasts who participate in brutal live pigeon shoots. Many of these people are eccentric, and while Blechman's book won't convert pigeon haters to pigeon lovers, it does make for entertaining reading."

Personally, I had to skip the chapter where he visits an underground live pigeon shooting club. :( But the rest of the book is really good.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Hi NancyJ,

I am sure we have had several discussions about this book here. You can do a search and it will pull up the past discussions. Yes, there was stuff in there that was negative.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, we appreciate your input, Thank you for sharing.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
HI NANCY, I have read the book and the author did a fine job of reporting. I did read the chapter on the shoots he came away from the shoot upset and sick over what he saw. .GEORGE;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi Trees,

I did do a search before my original post, and I couldn't find any discussions on this particular book. Maybe I didn't use specific enough search terms. If you know of any discussions and where to find them, would you mind sending me those links so I could read? Thanks!

Nancy

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts