Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I fortunately found this community when doing research on pigeon rearing.
My family got pigeons a few months ago, and the fantails laid an egg. Mom was really good at keeping her egg warm and was very protective. But when baby hatched, she no longer sat on him and kept him warm. I've found him twice now extremely lethargic and cold to the touch. I've brought him inside and warmed him (twice now), and after an hour or two he becomes bright and cheery.
I figured out how to feed him properly from this site (very helpful because I couldn't get him interested in eating at first).
My only concern is that I took baby away from mom. I'm worried that baby won't make it if he stays with mom, but I also want to believe that mom knows best through natural instinct. Am I doing the right thing?

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
You can always put the baby back into the nest and spend some time observing the mom. If she's not keen on keeping him warm, then rather care for him yourself. How long have you been feeding him?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can always put the baby back into the nest and spend some time observing the mom. If she's not keen on keeping him warm, then rather care for him yourself. How long have you been feeding him?
This is the second day I've been feeding him. He is about 12 days old and 3 grams. I've been feeding him when he is hungry which is about 4 times a day. I'm making sure I'm not overfeeding by feeling his crop. He usually falls asleep before he gets full. And of course keeping him warm. He spends most of the time wrapped up and held close to somebody because he likes to be covered. He gets grumpy when he isn't :)
I will try letting mom take care of him tomorrow afternoon and continually check on him. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is the second day I've been feeding him. He is about 12 days old and 3 grams. I've been feeding him when he is hungry which is about 4 times a day. I'm making sure I'm not overfeeding by feeling his crop. He usually falls asleep before he gets full. And of course keeping him warm. He spends most of the time wrapped up and held close to somebody because he likes to be covered. He gets grumpy when he isn't :)
I will try letting mom take care of him tomorrow afternoon and continually check on him. Thanks for the suggestion!
Don't worry well pigeon usually won't sit on them after 10 or 15 days that's normal

1 - 4 of 4 Posts