Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, here they are in their new nest box with a terracotta nest bowl. What else do I need to add to it?
Pigeons and doves Cage Bird Rock dove Beak

Edit to add:
They aren't much into nest building. I even put a few hay straws in the bowl and they just throw them on the floor and stand there looking at my like I'M the stupid one.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
the nest bowl does not look big enough, two fat squabs may be sharing that one day and from the looks of the pic it looks like it could hold maybe one, but maybe in the pic it looks small, how wide is it?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I like to use these milk crates too.. I would add a 4" piece of wood, like a 1X4 across the bottom front, to keep the young squabs from falling out..

Nice looking birds..

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You don't put the straw in the bowl. You put it where they can gather it and collect it themselves. The bowls DO look kinda small. I'd put a board on the bottom, covering the holes. One of the younguns could put their foot through those holes and get hurt.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
You don't put the straw in the bowl. You put it where they can gather it and collect it themselves. The bowls DO look kinda small. I'd put a board on the bottom, covering the holes. One of the younguns could put their foot through those holes and get hurt.
I agree, or stuck with a leg hanging.... I would think the crate will be hard to clean too if you can't take it down, but I would say give it a try as you can always do something better next time, get a bigger bowl and the wood on the front, some pine shavings or sand in the bottom of the nest bowl and provide some hay/straw or pineneedles and see what happens. cool weather is on the way so if you are up north if they don't lay soon, you might want to wait till early spring. ...edit..never mind your in CA...alwlays nice there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.