Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well here are update pic's of the kids and our newest addition just hatched 9 / 14 / 11

Nemo & Dory's first born

hawk & sugar creams name JO JO

morning mist & black eagles name MISTIC

eagle & moonlight jazz name JAZZY

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
because i thought you only had one loft with all yours birds in it.
yes that is correct, i have a plan to start loft flying my young birds when these three are old enough to join the flock. my older birds that i know or think will fly off are staying in, i have to build my trap as of yet so i have time, and if any of the older birds get out by a misstake or accident ( which i hope won't happen) they should be pretty well homed after 2 months of being in. got my finger crossed, they seem pretty happy so i am not really worried..

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
these are the last ones i am gonna let hatch this year anyway ( i hope ) these guys were for my daughter to watch hatch and grow..

·
Registered
803 Posts
yes that is correct, i have a plan to start loft flying my young birds when these three are old enough to join the flock. my older birds that i know or think will fly off are staying in, i have to build my trap as of yet so i have time, and if any of the older birds get out by a misstake or accident ( which i hope won't happen) they should be pretty well homed after 2 months of being in. got my finger crossed, they seem pretty happy so i am not really worried..
Just wanna say they are at that age where they are almost ready to trap train for sure and I wouldnt go as far as to say the others are all going to home to your loft if they get out, so you might wanna make a plan for your others birds to not be able to get out unless you dont mind losing a few when they dont wanna stay around. Some do some dont and they rest get lost or eaten by hawks .

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Good looking birds. My loft is open like yours. What I do is catch the birds I want out and put them through the drop trap. At 30 days they are old enough to start trap training with a settling cage. A week of that and remove the cage. They will go from the landing board to the roof of the loft ect. You are doing very good with your birds and should be very proud.

Take care,

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good looking birds. My loft is open like yours. What I do is catch the birds I want out and put them through the drop trap. At 30 days they are old enough to start trap training with a settling cage. A week of that and remove the cage. They will go from the landing board to the roof of the loft ect. You are doing very good with your birds and should be very proud.

Take care,
thats just what i am planning on doing catching the ones to train and the others stay inside. i do have some older birds who have never been flown so they to are going to be trained also ( with luck ). my birds are happy and healthy and if by chance someone does fly off i am prepared to loose a few, who wouldn't be.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
thats just what i am planning on doing catching the ones to train and the others stay inside. i do have some older birds who have never been flown so they to are going to be trained also ( with luck ). my birds are happy and healthy and if by chance someone does fly off i am prepared to loose a few, who wouldn't be.
I hope your daughter appreciates the importance of bringing a life into the world on purpose for it to only be strong on the wing and get lost (worse senerio).. I would of waited for when you could do it correctly to give the birds a better chance from the start. They were hatched there, so that is a plus for them to stay. This time of the year ybs are in more danger from hawks than say in the spring/summer... that is the time you want to have the ybs out for the first time and hopefully not older than 8 weeks old.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hope your daughter appreciates the importance of bringing a life into the world on purpose for it to only be strong on the wing and get lost (worse senerio).. I would of waited for when you could do it correctly to give the birds a better chance from the start. They were hatched there, so that is a plus for them to stay. This time of the year ybs are in more danger from hawks than say in the spring/summer... that is the time you want to have the ybs out for the first time and hopefully not older than 8 weeks old.
look my daughter is 4 ok, she wanted to see them have eggs and raise babies so i did, and how do you know they will get lost? i have raised birds in an open loft before in the city year round up in Delaware with never loosing a bird, and yes we had hawks there to. thanks for your input but i think we'll be fine..
it seems everyone on this site is an EXPERT at raising pigeons in some sort of way...everyone has different methods of raising and training or just having to show or loft fly, so i guess eveyone is right an EXPERT

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SPIRIT WINGS why did you delet this??

"not sure why you would turn out your older homer breeders... I don't think you should be casual about losing them.. they most likely will fly off to their home loft where they were flown and one would hope they make it..but perhaps not..and then what is that person going to do with them? Fly your babies but keep your breeders or prisoners in for their own wellbeing so they won't get lost trying to find their home. as far as the babies go you need to get more organized with all that..which sounds like you will next year, these birds were hatched just for the heck of it and now may be strong on the wing..so plan ahead so you can keep your losses to a minimum.. yb's are usually out in spring when the hawks are not around as much, the age would be 7 to 8 weeks old they need to be out on the landing board and trapping in with a feed call..that is if you want control over them .. if not then they come in the loft when they want and then you close them in for the night"

that is my plan if you read the thread right, i do have some older birds that have never been flown and want them to enjoy the flying free part to, my older breeders who have been flown are staying in...

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
SPIRIT WINGS why did you delet this??

"not sure why you would turn out your older homer breeders... I don't think you should be casual about losing them.. they most likely will fly off to their home loft where they were flown and one would hope they make it..but perhaps not..and then what is that person going to do with them? Fly your babies but keep your breeders or prisoners in for their own wellbeing so they won't get lost trying to find their home. as far as the babies go you need to get more organized with all that..which sounds like you will next year, these birds were hatched just for the heck of it and now may be strong on the wing..so plan ahead so you can keep your losses to a minimum.. yb's are usually out in spring when the hawks are not around as much, the age would be 7 to 8 weeks old they need to be out on the landing board and trapping in with a feed call..that is if you want control over them .. if not then they come in the loft when they want and then you close them in for the night"

that is my plan if you read the thread right, i do have some older birds that have never been flown and want them to enjoy the flying free part to, my older breeders who have been flown are staying in...
HORSEART4U, (I like capitals too..lol..)
I think it is obviouse it was wrong, and I did not read your posts well. so that is why it was deleted.. you were not turning out your breeders.. everyone has reasons for bringing new birds into the world and you do what is good for you, I disagree with hatching new life, at the not best time of the year, just for a kid to see it, is not real responsible.. the birds should be thought of first..and now these will be strong on the wing to let out, and that is not ideal. (fancies are hatched all year long because they are not flown). .. usually when breeding homers, all keepers usually follow what works best for the birds so they will have less or no losses..that is all.. experts or not the facts speak for themselves.. sounds like you will be on board and doing well in the spring with your trap and all and should do well and enjoy flying your birds. so learn as you go.. being quick to be affended is not much help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts