Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
The young one I still think could very well be a homer. The white one is definitely NOT a homer.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hi Becky,

I have a homer cock that looks very similar to the bird in question. He has the same big cere and his wattles also look the same, very large and carunculated toward the head, while they are smooth distally.

I would also like to add that racing homers are a very 'mixed' looking breed. There is no real standard of perfection for them so it is very difficult to specify which birds look like homers and which don't. It pretty much depends on which 'types' of homer you have seen.

We mostly have the 'normal' largish homers here in South Africa (similar to Belgian/Dutch) strains, but I have also seen some smaller birds. Some have carunculated wattles, some smooth. Some have large eye cere with two rings, some have almost none. Some have long legs, other's short. Some I think look very much compact and strong like the dragoons, others again (like English carriers) are thin long-necked and almost frail looking. All these different types of birds could be good racers though.

Every homer man selects for slightly different visual traits in his stock and this leads to a 'breed' with a variety of different visible attributes. Though all still homers ;-) It is perhaps better if we never call a bird a homer, but rather name it for the birds it resembles. I'll be calling my homer a bagdad cross from now on!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts