Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I recently adopted a lovely female pigeon to keep my little boy company. However, they've been fighting a lot recently, and I'm not sure what to do about it. Will they settle down once they get used to each other? How long will the fighting usually last when a new pigeon is introduced? Also, the female is a bit bigger than Cheepy (my little boy), I'm guessing that Cheepy is a small feral while the female is a medium racer. Should I be worried about any injuries, apart from feather loss? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
You need to keep them in seperate cages for a couple of weeks. The cages should be next to each other. He is probably used to having the whole area to himself. Let her come out of her cage while he stays inside his. Are you sure she is a female? He will also chase her around (that is what all males do) once he starts getting interested in her.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, they free roam in the house, so I could maybe carry her around a lot and keep an eye on her while she's out. I'm pretty sure she's a female. I think the rescue place thst I adopted her from does DNA testing to be sure. Anyway, it's only been a few days now, so I guess I'll just give them time. But man, you should see those two go at it. She's a med to LG and Cheepy is a sm to med pigeon, so she's definitely got the size advantage, and they really get into it when they fight. Tumbling, flapping. Like a whirl of feathers going down the hallway like they do in those cartoons. My last female pigeon just ran away, but this girl's got some fight in her.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on her and monitor them closely when she's out so I can keep them from getting into trouble. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts