Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! Can anyone give me advice on how to keep my new king pigeon happy? She started out really fearful (shaking and trembling every time we even look at her), then a day later, reacted very aggressively when we approached her very slowly and gently. She wouldn't eat or drink in the meantime. I'm concerned she will never give us a chance. Could some pigeons be so resistant to humans that they just can't get used to living with humans? She was pen-raised with about 20 king pigeons and only about 3 months old.

:confused:

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
It is normal for the bird to act defensive if it did not have any close human contact.

Give the bird a few days to settle and make sure she is eating well.

Just allow her to get used to you, don't force the issue and begin to hand feed the bird and only from your hand. Before you know it, the bird will come to depend on you for food and accept you. The bird may never be completely tame but it will get better.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
It takes aot of patience.
Oh, Yes..lots of patience and lots of pain.

I have 2 male pigeons which, until nowadays, when i offer treat from my hand, they bite and bite and pull my skin and bite and... when i am almost giving up from pain, they start enjoying their treat from my hand.
It's just a matter of personality..Either they want to make sure i am not going to hurt them or they just want to show me who's the boss.;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! She has gotten much better. She is still squirmish around me and would freak herself out, slips around and tumbles all over the place before realizing I didn't do a thing. If I stay really still and just watch, she comes around and eats from the bowl I place right next to me. I thought it was a female but now "she" is making a constant, "Oooooorh oooorh" sound, which makes me think she is a he. Do females make that kind of sound all day?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Hens do, the cock birds more so. Glad he/ she is eating. Pigeons are a pray animal so they have the defense they use to not be eaten, hunger is when they let their guard down some. They can be fearful because hands can look like a predators claws, staring eyes can look like stalking to them, they see things different , and usually if you get a shoulder perch one day that may be as good as it gets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts