Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am a new pigeon owner :) I adopted my pigeon from my local humane society. His name is Aito-sama (Aito for short). He currently lives inside my home and is kept in a metal rabbit hutch that is as big as a large dog kennel.
I have lined his cage with a old towel and newspapers. I was wondering how should I clean it everyday? I know I can roll the newspapers and toss them and shake out the towel but, Aito isn't tame yet and he doesn't really go back into his cage if I let him out. I don't really want to grab him to clean out his cage daily... Any advice here would be most appreciated :)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Pigeons like a flat perch, like a shelf to perch on. Don't use the dowel type thing for a perch. You can rig up a shelf on one end of his cage, with maybe a 6 or 8 inch wide board. Place it up 4 or 5 inches. And cover the floor with newspaper, then paper towel. Each day you can just take out the paper towel and replace it with fresh. Every now and then, or if it gets wet, change the newspaper also. If he has a shelf on one end of the cage, they will usually go up on the shelf while you change out the cage. You don't need to take him out of the cage, as he isn't on the floor and not in the way.

He will need a couple of hours out of cage time daily, and the best time to do this is a couple of hours before dusk. Pigeons don't see well in the dark, so usually won't fly in the dark. When you want to put him back into the cage, just turn the light off, and pick him up and place him in the cage. Don't chase him around or you will just scare him.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts