Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around a week ago I brought home a male white fantail pigeon which is about 2~ months old. It was raised between other pigeons but it's alone now.
First when it came home it wouldn't eat or drink but now that's resolved. He seems very scared though. He's currently staying in a big cage in my room. I take him out daily so he can fly around the house a little bit, though I have to chase him to get him back in his cage.
When he is in his cage he walks back and forward then flies into the walls of the cage. (looking for a way out?)
Also he won't take his eyes off me unless I stop moving. Does he feel threatened? He sleeps with one eye open. It feels like he is very tense when I am around. This doesn't happen when I leave him in the living room with my family.

2 days ago he started pecking me and wing slapping me when I try to pet him. I've read on google that that's supposed to be progress? I'm not sure.
Will I ever be able to get my pigeon tame enough to cuddle with him? Did I buy him when he was too old to be turned into a home pigeon? The previous owner would let him roam free outside.

Ideally this is what I want our interactions to look like
I understand this will take lots of patience and time.

Please help me tame this pigeon. He is very beautiful and I really want to keep him for a long time so we can bond.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
You can offer him treats like chopped up raw unsalted peanuts. Pigeons love them. First put some in with his food, and when he starts eating them you can start offering from your hand.

He views the cage as his territory, never put your hand inside when he is there. Rather clean when he is outside the cage. Never chase him to put him back in the cage, he will just become more scared of you. Wait till it gets dark, then catch him and put him back.

So basically, don't force yourself on him. He will learn to trust you, this will just take time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts