Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tuesday my young Lucerne gold collar shipped, and arrived at the post office today! I was surprised when I opened the box to find two birds instead of the single one I paid for, the breeder said he was worried about the Lucerne being lonely.
I'm not sure how well this will work out since I wanted a single bird to bond to me and be a companion that could be with me throughout the day but they both warmed up really quickly so I'll just have to see how it goes.
The Lucerne I named Spike (from Cowboy Bebop...) and the Aachen owl my brother deemed Rex since he thought it would go with the name Spike.
Rex was the first to land on me and trust me, I let them out to get used to my room and stretch their wings and I stayed in there all day to watch them and let them get comfortable with me. He came right over and wanted on my arm and shoulder and came to my arm every time I held it out for him. Spike was much shyer and easily spooked and Rex actually helped me get him to find water and get a drink, he kept flying to Spike then to where I had the water and after about an hour of calmly talking to him and Rex trying to show him he got a drink. Eventually Spike warmed up to me and they both were landing on me on their own (I didn't start asking them to until they had approached me themselves first).
They learned their names within three hours! This is my first time with pigeons, I've raised chickens and have worked with parrots, and they're definitely my favorite companion birds. They both seemed to understand that I had no intention of hurting them, even after I picked them up to get their measurements for their flight suits.
They're both so different personality-wise, almost like opposites. Spike is very reserved and calm, once he warmed up to me he liked being petted but is still leery of people compared to Rex. Rex gets bored easily and is very rambunctious, throughout the day he just wanted to spend time with me exploring my room, he readily flies to me and wants to investigate everything I'm doing, especially my phone and computer.
I couldn't get them to eat any of the treats I got them (crushed unsalted peanuts, chia seeds, pine nuts, unshelled unsalted sunflower seeds, organic unsalted and not buttered popcorn), they loved the peas from their feed though, and occasionally the smaller round grains actually those were all they were really eating and I'm hoping they'll be hungrier tomorrow. Maybe some of you will have tips for getting them to be less picky, of course it is only the first day.
I'm really looking forward to watching their personalities grow and them become more comfortable :)

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both! Whenever I leave Rex starts cooing until I come back, and if someone looks in my room where they're staying he starts cooing too (he puffs out his crop when he does it). Anyone have a guide for pigeon body/coo language? XD

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
They are very pretty birdies Quail and you seem like a caring and very intelligent person as well. When you first get pigeons there is a learning curve here and these pigeons can get into stuff unimaginable ways...You think you might be able to think how they think but you cannot in the beginning and even after you do something they might like and they take the opposite path...lol Pigeons like shiny things paperclips, jewerly, buttons anything small and shiny so really beware of this because if they swallow any of these things they will die..Now right now two birdies in your room flying around is good exercise and they will find their own spots to rest and sleep on but there are some dangers for you with this. The air quality will become very bad in time and you need to think about ventilation here----this is important for your health and their's so think about the future here and plan on maybe having a small loft and fly pen. Wow I saw a real neat one today and I will get the link for you..Just suggesting this..Cages are good and you will stack them but they could be dangerous for your pigeons with those bars especially if you plan "later" to have some more pigeons but in the meanwhile get some plastic eggs to have to put down if any of your pigeons "might" be "female" and lay some eggs because in time your home will a happy one for them...lol...Have a good pigeon seed mix and also you could check out pigeon supply stores for other things. Your pigeons are very pretty and lets hope they maintain their wonderful health under your wonderful care..Welcome to the pigeon world...

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f38/post-your-lofts-here-48720.html

Posting 264 and 265 and 266 on that link.

Check out Foy's Pigeon Supplies out of Pennsylvania...Call for a catalog for it has some learning experience in it to read about and its enjoyable to learn...lol

724-843-6889 Questions only--Toll free......www,FOYSPIGEONSUPPLIES.com. Try to get a free catalog sent to you....wheel and deal...lol save 5.00 dollars.. lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the kind words and tips! I won't be able to get a loft any time soon since I'll be moving, however I'll be getting an air filter shortly. They've already learned when I hold my arm up to come and are also getting the hang of target training and stay. They both sort of vibrate when they know they're about to get a treat, it's very cute.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
That's good and get a ventilator fan that hooks up to a window that you can push the air out of the room in or out. Measure the window first and these fans are Pelonis and about one foot high and two foot going across the bottom of the window. They work really well and just make sure the air is going out and then when you got hot you can bring air in at different speeds. They are square and can be bought at home depot or a store like that or even maybe on line. I have two of them in my bird room and I exchange the air every day and keeps it nice and fresh.. I have a set up to where I have a cage on a table with another table pushed up along side of it for food and water and I have the bottom of the wire cage lined with freezer paper about four or five inches high so that it is not as dangerous for I do not want my birdies to get stuck anywhere in them..Get plastic eggs too they like them. You might have a female that you do not know about. lol lol Enjoy your birdies..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts