Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finished my new racing loft. I purchased the loft and made some changes. 2013 will be my first year racing. Added 4 new windows, 8 vents and paint. Loft is 7' wide and 16' long with 3 sections. Young bird section is 8 ' with 40 box perches, breeding section is 4' with 16 nest boxes, and old birds are 4' with 12 nest boxes. I still need to build aviary fronts and trap. In the process of mating birds. Picked up many ideas from the forum thanks.

loft_1.JPG

Front of loft.

loft_4.JPG

North wall showing 3 sections

loft_5.JPG

Young bird section

loft_birds.JPG

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rands?

I do not know what rands are but I paid $300 for the loft. My changes to the loft cost about double the initial expense.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Is that a premanufactured storage building? 300 is a smoking deal, you could barely build the roof system for that much

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Nice looking,inside and out....I have a 8 by 14 foot flying loft....I breed only 20/25 Yb`s to fly..Keep 8 to 10 pair of OB flyers.....I have a 8 by 8 stock loft with 8 nest boxes...My problem with your setup is,if you fill all those perches,and nest boxes,in your loft,you will have "Health" problems with ALL your birds...You do not have enough area/room,to fill ALL your nests etc.....Your "Fresh Air" will be non-existant...When the weather is bad/rain etc,you will have to have the windows closed,so the rain doesn`t enter the loft...Even with the air ducts at ground level,because if you DO have every box & perch filled with pigeons,there will never be enough clean/frest air....One of the first RULES,with racing pigeons is,always have more room then your pigeons need...It is far better to have 40 perches,with only 20/25 Yb`s in that section.....My section measures 8 x 9,for my 20 YB`s,with 40 perches....They never have to fight for a perch...Once they have their favorite perch,they will fight for it,but never have to fight to get/find a favorite....I Wish you the best...But don`t fill that building up with pigeons...I would have 6 pair of breeders,10 pair of OB flyers,and a maximum of 30 YB`s in your loft,if I was the owner....If your OB`s are real good pigeons,you can breed a YB from all 10 pairs...In that way,6 pair of stock pigeons is plenty....QUALITY over quanity....Alamo

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the reply Alamo with questions

I am sure you are correct about having too many birds. I have no old birds so for now section one is empty and I am using it to pair birds. I have 10 pairs which will be in the first 2 sections. I will limit the number of young birds. 30 does sound like a good number. I plan on building large avaries on the front of the loft with an overhang to avoid the rain issue. I also have my old loft which is a 4 x 8 that is empty and I can move prisoners there. I hope to learn from experienced racers like yourself so I do not make mistakes at the cost of the birds.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hello roger. That's a really nice loft you have there. I'd recommend using your old 4x8 loft for breeding and then use this new loft for fliers only. Help you prioritize what you have in each loft. You can maximize how many fliers you can have in this loft. And if you wanted you can race your young birds separated by sex if you wanted to go that route. You do have a lot of options at your disposal.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Soundmajorr is correct...Use your old building for your Stock Birds...That will give you more room,with less pigeons in your new building....This is what I have,and it should work out for you also...Over the winter,I usally have 30 to 36 total pigeons...I have NEVER had more then 40(over the winter),since I started back in 1984....I set that number when I started,and abided by that...Why you ask ?? Because I thought any pigeons I started keeping OVER that total,would not be as GOOD,as the selection of what to keep,would be more crucial to the quality of my family of pigeons,if I kept LESS....Yes,it is very hard to keep less birds....My dad only had 6 pair of breeders,and bred 22/24 YB`s every year....Back in the day,there were 400 to 500 lofts,and 3,000 to 6,000 birds in races,and my dad won many races,with a small loft of pigeons....Quality over quanity...Even today,it is still a great phrase.....Alamo

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wire on Windows

Thanks for the info on wire on the windows. Another racer told me about this and I did put wire up which will be only until I build the aviary front. I plan on having a front as large as the windows in each section. Does anybody have and suggestions on fronts? I plan having the young bird section with one aviary and each of the other 2 sections to have their own aviary. I like a large aviary for young birds as I think it helps in training and traping. I have a Tippes clock which will be in the opening between the windows.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts