Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

Cher shows almost no signs of PMV now, and is very very very much a wild bird! She flies like a champ and is eating and drinking well. She has peas and blueberries and sprouts as well as he pigeon mix and sunflower hearts. I actually think she could be released but it’s so cold and rainy at the moment and it’s not possible for me to get her used to being outside, so I’m going to give her the guest bathroom until the spring so she can get strong and avoid the terrible weather. She’s taken to the top of the mirror, so I’ve given her a little towel nest. She’s so much cleaner than Xena, she knows that she can’t poop in her nest so she backs up off the edge (and I have a puppy pad strategically placed to catch everything) which is a dream for cleaning up!). I was putting her in her cage at night but she has decided that’s not happening so looks like she’s a bathroom girl now. I’m sad she doesn’t have any pigeon friends to hang out with, but happy she’s safe and warm.
She’s got supplements in her water, and food, has probiotics and ACV a few times a week, anything else I should be thinking about?

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
She looks happy up there! How long has she been with you now? How did she react when you put her in the new environment? Did you notice any neurological symptoms?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
She looks happy up there! How long has she been with you now? How did she react when you put her in the new environment? Did you notice any neurological symptoms?
She’s been in that bathroom the whole time (6+ weeks now) .... she was just in the cage before, and couldn’t fly so I didn’t let her out, just kept her in there warm and fed! She loves the bathroom, I can hear her flying around and making pigeon noises every so often! She loves being up high on the mirror and seems to be happy! I don’t notice anything with her behavior now she doesn’t display any PMV type mannerisms, she flies like a champ and her personality has changed 100% from when I first got her. She was like a statue then and wouldn’t even flinch when I came near or picked her up! The last time I managed to weigh her was 3 days ago and she was +5g from the previous time so she’s maintained her weight during these weeks, which is good I suppose!

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Wonder what she would do if she has a change in environment? Stress aggravate the symptoms. If you put her in another room and she starts showing neurological symptoms again, then she might not be releasable. One won't know how she would react when you release her.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Wonder what she would do if she has a change in environment? Stress aggravate the symptoms. If you put her in another room and she starts showing neurological symptoms again, then she might not be releasable. One won't know how she would react when you release her.
I did weigh her in the bedroom bathroom last week which is completely different and she was fine... but once it’s spring and it warms up perhaps I can observe her a little more closely. I can’t catch her easily now (she’s very feral!) so I’ll just leave her to get strong and be safe for now. Maybe there’s a bird rescue in my area, hard to tell as I don’t speak Italian! I’ll make sure she’s fine before I release her. 🥰

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just updating that Cher is now happily residing in her bathroom palace! It’s a large bathroom with lots to perch on up high, which she loves! She has a cage and food and water and mirrors and snacks and she seems to be totally unimpressed with me now and totally feral!
Her poop is still a little strange now and then but all look like typical PMV poops, so I’m not going to panic. Her weight is still at 260g so she’s stayed 250-260 for almost 2 months, and she has plenty of space to fly and exercise and get strong before I release her in the spring.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I've read the poops will always be different as the kidneys get permanent affected by PMV. Mine had a obsession with water after recovery. She would lie for hours in her waterbowl or next to it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I've read the poops will always be different as the kidneys get permanent affected by PMV. Mine had a obsession with water after recovery. She would lie for hours in her waterbowl or next to it.
@Marina B I haven’t actually given her a water bowl big enough to bath in, because I read on here a post about a little sweetie who drowned in a shallow dish of water (due to a fit, if memory served) even though they assumed the pigeon had recovered from the PMV. Do you think it will be okay now? I’ve had her since November 6th so it’s been almost 8 weeks and she’s been symptom free (apart from poops) for about 3 weeks. The family who had her before me had her for a week or two, so I think the tricky PMV stage has passed! I think reading that post made me a bit nervous!

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Mine was only allowed to bath after recovery when I put her in the aviary with my other pigeons. Maybe you can try under supervision.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Mine was only allowed to bath after recovery when I put her in the aviary with my other pigeons. Maybe you can try under supervision.
she is absolutely not going to bath with me in the room she just flies up high and avoids coming down until I’m gone. I tried to set up a camera but she knocked it down! 😂

I wonder if I just put a very shallow dish on the floor, that might be okay? Perhaps I’ll wait a few weeks just to be sure.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

Cher is doing so well, she’s even managing to let close enough to take pics (last week she was spooked quite easily). I cleaned her cage and she seemed quite happy to pose for photos! Sweet girl. I’ve found a small flock of 7 pigeons at the end of my road, when it’s time to release do you think that’s enough pigeons to become friends with or should i look for a bigger flock?

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
She is looking well. How does she react when you get close to her? Any neurological signs? I think releasing her close to your home will be good, that flock is perfect. Will you recognize her afterwards? You should actually first take her outside in a pet carrier to see how she reacts before releasing her.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
No neurological signs at all, and she flies away from me when I’m in the room. No head twisting or star gazing, she flies perfectly and lands perfectly! She watches me very intently when I clean her cage or sweep the floor or replace the puppy pads, and won’t let me get close. She’s very wild, which I’m happy about! If she was up on that arial I would recognize her I think. Hard to know until it’s too late I suppose!

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
You can always mark her with a small white dot of acrylic paint on the breast. It will eventually wear off, but will stay on for a couple of weeks. Just long enough for you to make sure she is well and adapting.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I feel confident that she would not allow me to do that! 😂 I suppose I have to catch her before release anyway... which I’ve already decided will have to be a trick of sorts, by removing all food except in her cage, and I’ll only open the side door, when I hear her in there I can close the door!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I feel confident that she would not allow me to do that! 😂 I suppose I have to catch her before release anyway... which I’ve already decided will have to be a trick of sorts, by removing all food except in her cage, and I’ll only open the side door, when I hear her in there I can close the door!
be prepared for many tries after watching my birds and seeing them I realize these guys are in some cases smarter then humans hahahaha. She will catch on to what your doing fast hahaha she will eat and run before you have a chance to close the cage. All the best of luck with her release I agree mark her in some way if possible

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The cage is quite big and deep, she won’t be able to get out quick enough! Plus if I come in the room she won’t try and leave the cage because that means being closer to me, which she avoids at all costs!

·
Registered
68 Posts
The cage is quite big and deep, she won’t be able to get out quick enough! Plus if I come in the room she won’t try and leave the cage because that means being closer to me, which she avoids at all cosAwww ok some birds eat and run
The cage is quite big and deep, she won’t be able to get out quick enough! Plus if I come in the room she won’t try and leave the cage because that means being closer to me, which she avoids at all costs!
Awww

21 - 40 of 48 Posts