Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everybody,

I have little experience and a small flock (7 birds if we include a 'runt' which I'm raising by hand) from a pair I bought some time ago.
I have them to eat (and 3 to sleep) in just a large wire cage which I keep open for much of the day; sometimes I close it in the afternoon and let them in in the evening to eat and see that everybody came back.
Hand-raising the injured orphan turns out to be quite labour-intensive thank god I'm down to two feedings a day and the bird is growing with the neck and head feathers coming in already ( Jass and shorty2 were gracious enough to advise me with him).
So why am I doing all this work?
It must be because I love the sight of them flying out, doing a lap of honor before taking off (they are all completely white!). When I am lucky enough to see them coming back I count their heads like a commander of a RAF squadron to make sure everybody is accounted for. Both sights are majestic and make my heart beat faster.

How do guys know which bird is which? Do you have different color bands(I have yet to find a place where I can get a hold of some)?
Or do you have different cubicles in the loft where they always go? Or do you not know them apart?
More questions about a proper loft ( where to get one or if it's DIY time - right now not realistic-) etc. later
saludos
flaco

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
seems as the proper loft, should of came before the birds?

for all white birds banding them with color snap on bands with a number on it can help you with which pairs are together and which young is theirs if you write it down. any pigeon supply sells these bands. Im sure once you do a search online for pigeon supply there will be more important things you may want for your pigeons when you get to looking at the products offerd.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
seems as the proper loft, should of came before the birds?

for all white birds.....
Maybe so, Spirit Wings, but when I bought these 2 birds I had no idea if they would live or die, hang around or disappear or multiply.
So far, they seemed happy with the accommodations (there is no winter here), but clearly, with more of them I'll have to do something.
Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Maybe so, Spirit Wings, but when I bought these 2 birds I had no idea if they would live or die, hang around or disappear or multiply.
So far, they seemed happy with the accommodations (there is no winter here), but clearly, with more of them I'll have to do something.
Thanks for your input!
you're next step is to learn hatch control, fake eggs found at pigeon supply are used, hobbie eggs painted white can work too if you find those at a craft store, not sure they have those in p. R.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hi everybody,

I have little experience and a small flock (7 birds if we include a 'runt' which I'm raising by hand) from a pair I bought some time ago.
I have them to eat (and 3 to sleep) in just a large wire cage which I keep open for much of the day; sometimes I close it in the afternoon and let them in in the evening to eat and see that everybody came back.
Hand-raising the injured orphan turns out to be quite labour-intensive thank god I'm down to two feedings a day and the bird is growing with the neck and head feathers coming in already ( Jass and shorty2 were gracious enough to advise me with him).
So why am I doing all this work?
It must be because I love the sight of them flying out, doing a lap of honor before taking off (they are all completely white!). When I am lucky enough to see them coming back I count their heads like a commander of a RAF squadron to make sure everybody is accounted for. Both sights are majestic and make my heart beat faster.

How do guys know which bird is which? Do you have different color bands(I have yet to find a place where I can get a hold of some)?
Or do you have different cubicles in the loft where they always go? Or do you not know them apart?
More questions about a proper loft ( where to get one or if it's DIY time - right now not realistic-) etc. later
saludos
flaco
Nice job raising the youngster.
For one who loves pigeons its more than a reward to see his birds fly around, come back and never leave. And you can win money with them also if you have good racers.

Every pigeon has its unique sound. I can tell which one of my cocks is coo-dancing with eyes closed. And every pigeon has a different face. Oooops I know this may sound stupid but I can differentiate clearly.
Yes banding is good option. You can mark your birds with bit of color also. You can name them when you start to differentiate between them.

Single pigeons love perches to roost on. You can add flat perches to your setup so that every pigeon have one for himself. For breeding pairs you can make nestboxes. Every breeding pair will need one nestbox.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Saludos Flaco welcome to the Wonderful World Of Pigeons!
I was down in P.R last October I visited a few lofts while I was down there including a guy from PT, Lots of flyers there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Saludos Flaco welcome to the Wonderful World Of Pigeons!
I was down in P.R last October I visited a few lofts while I was down there including a guy from PT, Lots of flyers there.
Saludos a ti, orock, y gracias.
Maybe in time I'll run across the PT participants from P.R. right here on this forum!

Yes banding is good option. You can mark your birds with bit of color also. You can name them when you start to differentiate between them.

Single pigeons love perches to roost on. You can add flat perches to your setup so that every pigeon have one for himself. For breeding pairs you can make nestboxes. Every breeding pair will need one nestbox.
I probably shouldn't do too much before we move house (prob. 3 mo at least)except build more simple flight pens to diminish crowding since they will have to be locked up for a while (2 mo ?) at the new place? If not I imagine they would get lost looking for the old one ( ca. 40 miles away) since I didn't do any long distance training.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I probably shouldn't do too much before we move house (prob. 3 mo at least)except build more simple flight pens to diminish crowding since they will have to be locked up for a while (2 mo ?) at the new place? If not I imagine they would get lost looking for the old one ( ca. 40 miles away) since I didn't do any long distance training.
Yes,new loft at new place sounds better. If you have big enough loft now your pigeons will hold good till then.
When you take them to a new place homers will probably try to come back to old loft. As you said your homers spend nights outside the loft I'm sure they know the area well. 40miles won't be too hard for them to travel and find their old home back. So you may have to prison your homers over there at new place in new loft and breed them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes,new loft at new place sounds better. If you have big enough loft now your pigeons will hold good till then.
When you take them to a new place homers will probably try to come back to old loft. As you said your homers spend nights outside the loft I'm sure they know the area well. 40miles won't be too hard for them to travel and find their old home back. So you may have to prison your homers over there at new place in new loft and breed them.
Thank you for helping me along, Jass - or is it rather Sam?

Reading the other thread it occurred to me also that it might be a good idea to build a few more (2 or three) simple wire pens in order to coax my 6 or 7 birds into separating into breeding pairs that might have eggs/nests by the time I'll have to move.( I assume the parents would not stray far with an active nest?) Right now I have only one confirmed breeding pair which might be due to the fact that there is only one 'nest loft' in my large flight pen right now (I didn't mind having few birds; now I wonder if I could use breeding to my advantage with the re-homing).
What would be a minimum comfortable cage size for nesting/ confining towards that end? Or is this a crazy idea in the first place?

I guess I'm also not sure if you are suggesting to wait with this until after the move - but how would I practically do this not knowing who is who (male/fem) or who likes whom etc.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hi flaco,
Jass is half of my real name,means God's praise in my language...... and SamOplay is my original surname :)

If you're planning to move then I think your birds can live well in the flight pen comfortably. You can keep them locked up until you move and they'll be fine. If you make arrangements then after you move they'll be redundant.
BTW,A pigeon needs 2 square feet space to live in comfortably. A pair will do good in 3/3/2(l/b/h). Yes you can give it a try if you want but I think your pigeons will love to use communal space.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts