Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this guy that owns a store nearby and feeds the birds, called me with a baby, i would say 2-3 weeks old. I am not clear on whether the baby fell out of nest or if he pulled it from nest, he said no mom or dad had visited in 2 days, and 2 days prior 3 hawks had eaten a few pigeons, and the baby was squeaking for 2 days straight so he said he pulled it out of nest, i wanted to put baby back and see if parent came back but the baby was starving so i brought him home to feed yesterday. I went a bit later at night and there was no mom or dad, and no 2nd baby there. The baby, which i thought was strange, doesnt walk but scoots himself along by his wings. He's a bit older than Humphrey was when i got him, and Humphrey was walking by the time his tail feathers started to show. I felt the legs today, up and down them, and they both seem to have crookedness in different spots on each side. One leg he uses a bit, but the other when i pull he doesnt pull back, just stays limp. Also, he doesnt squeak like most babies do. This is the worst time because vets are closed and i have finals, i am going to try and and take him on monday either way. I am just worried about the little guy and dont know what to do besides feed and give him a little nest so he doesnt have to move around....:confused:
each leg has a bit of deformity to it, feels like a break, and in different spots, and he scoots by his wings, which makes me think his legs are in pain. Maybe he did fall out and someone else put him back? its a low spot for a nest, or maybe it's something else? Dont know. Won't show up in pics or i would post them, you can just FEEL it. :(

·
Registered
911 Posts
Moxie.........I can't give you any advice on the legs however the not squeaking part is about the starvation. I rescued a baby this week totally emaicaited suffering severe starvation and he did not make a sound also. After a few days of hand feeding he starting squeaking. When they are that starved they don't even have the strength to squeak.

I hope someone comes along soon to advise you on the legs.

Poor baby, I pray he will be allright.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Hi Moxie! Thank you so much for helping another one! It's hard to say whether the legs are broken or perhaps splayed. In either case, keeping the little one in a "nest" with restricted movement and the legs in proper position is a good move. Hopefully a vet can give an accurate diagnosis. The lack of squeaking probably is due to weakness brought on by starvation as Louise posted.

Terry

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
The legs may also be deformed and not usable because of lack of calcium due to starvation, so with extra calcium and other nutrition you may see him trying to use the legs and improved mobility.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, he is squeaking a bit more today. The legs, well, one leg, when you pull it straight back, will not go all the way back because of the break or deformity in the leg. One leg pulls straight back fine, while this one stops short. What about paratyphoid? What are the other symptoms with that? I am guessing a deformity or 2 breaks, this poor baby barely uses his legs, just scoots along with the wings. I am hoping to get him seen monday or tuesday, so we will see.
Yes i have been avoiding any new birds but this one was thrown into my lap. I cant say no if i see a hurt bird, but i sure have been avoiding looking too closely at the feral flock! Until the 2 adults i have get to their new homes this month, i wanted to keep any new birds out because the last one i had got my two adults sick, it's too hard to keep them seperate in an apartment with a mad roommate, but my roommate is cool with keeping the baby in his bedroom because, well, it's a baby, and i promised he would be gone soon. We'll see what happens at the vets, i suppose there is nothing else i can do here, yes?
And thanks for the replies! Its just nice to have people reply to your thread because otherwise you just feel totally alone in all this. So thanks! And it's nice to "see" all of you again!!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Realized i forgot to up[date. The little guy does have deformed legs, not broken. The vet put a weird kind of splint on, which basically connects both legs in shackles sort of, with each side being wrapped between the knee and the actual ankle of the bird. I guess this forces those muscles to strengthen. He's shackled for a few more days, then we will see how he does!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.