Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I am currently finishing my undergraduate work in college and took a lab course where we studied learning through the use of operant conditioning on Carneau Pigeons! Our professor told us the birds used would get euthanized after the study ended unless we adopted them, which led to me adopting my sweet little girl as I couldn't bear the thought. However luckily we were able to find an aviary rescue that took in the birds not adopted by students, so they will all have long happy lives. :)
My pigeon is about 9 months old, a female that I call Lady/Lady Bird/Lady B/Little B... She is used to me because we have been hanging out every day while I watched her peck buttons in the experiment for food but is pretty nervous around other people.
Looking for advise in a few areas:
1. Advise for socializing her, helping to make her more comfortable
2. She has difficulty perching on perches in the cage or on hands- seems like a balance problem, I'm assuming this will get better as she builds up foot dexterity because the cages they were kept in in the lab had no perches unfortunately :(
3. General tips about body language, what kind of feed combos, special treats and what greens we should try out etc
4. Any info about the sounds she makes! She's been pretty quiet since I brought her home a few days ago. However, when I pet her she makes soft clucking sounds which are super sweet

She seems pretty comfortable around me, when others approach she gets a little puffy and shaky but calms down when I'm nearby. She has started leaving the cage to walk around a bit, but not much.
Overall, she's a really sweet bird, just still pretty shy and uncertain. I think it's just because she's been in a lab until now, without much interaction with people. Luckily she never bites and seems curious and willing to meet new people, even if she gets a bit nervous.
Anyway sorry for such a long post, just very excited to give her a new life filled with love and freedom and would appreciate any advice at all! Excited to meet the community and to have a place to discuss Pigeon activities with such a lovely, passionate group of people. I learned so much about the complexity and intelligence of pigeons this year and have a lot of respect for them and all people who see and value those qualities in these great animals!
I uploaded a photo of her, not sure why it turned on its side haha.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
She also does this thing to my hand- sometime just when it's close, sometime when I'm petting her- where she puts the side of her beak against my hand and opens and closes it while scooting across my hand- she never bites or grabs the skin at all, just gently glides across it with that motion. Not sure what it means, but she doesn't seem irritated or try to move away so I think that's a good sign?

Also also, any advise for trying to potty train her to only poop in the cage? I'm thinking about investing in Pigeon Pants, but my professor said his pigeon is potty trained! She will wait to go and then fly over and perch on his hand when it's time- then he carries her out to his patio and holds her off the side to poop! Really crazy haha, but I'm not sure how he started training her to do that, other than maybe just trying it out and waiting for her to go, then giving her a treat for doing it correctly? Not sure, but if anyone has experience potty training I'd love to hear your techniques!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops, last I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for what kind of nesting box/nesting supplies I should have for her! thanks so much, sorry for all of the questions!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hello and welcome to PT:)
Thanks for saving innocent lives.
She's a beautiful snow white bird,ain't she?
There's no way to potty train a pigeon,unfortunately:p. You may wear her pigeon nappies for the time she's out of her cage. Her cage needs to have atleast 2 square feet of space where she can flap her wings easily when she needs to. Her perch needs to be 2 inches broad. If you keep her indoors, pls let her have some fresh air and sunlight daily for 1-2 hours by taking her cage outside. Sunlight is important for her.
For feed, you can buy feedmix for pigeons on pigeon supply places, google will come handy. For greens, spinach,choped carrots are good, given once or twice per week.
What plans do you have on keeping her or...,if I may ask?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Your new pigeon...

Doesn't sound as if she had a lot of socialization... You are doing the right thing to let her slowly trust you. Thank you for protecting her. Pigeons are so smart and loving ... I wish everyone who appreciated birds or wanted to share their life with one knew how fabulous they are. I have always known parrots but pigeons are just delightful. Get her gut tuned in and the poop won't be a big issue.. My Pidge only has wet poop after she has drank a lot of water --- otherwise it is pretty dry and becomes very dry without leaving a mark and I can just vacuum it up and wipe down the are with a disinfectant like peroxide ... When my Pidge first came to me she was afraid and not careful about her poop ... Now that she is comfortable she doesn't go as much and she likes to go over newsprint ... They do like a clean living place so keep it very clean and she will figure it out

·
Banned
569 Posts
Hello all! I am currently finishing my undergraduate work in college and took a lab course where we studied learning through the use of operant conditioning on Carneau Pigeons! Our professor told us the birds used would get euthanized after the study ended unless we adopted them, which led to me adopting my sweet little girl as I couldn't bear the thought. However luckily we were able to find an aviary rescue that took in the birds not adopted by students, so they will all have long happy lives. :)
My pigeon is about 9 months old, a female that I call Lady/Lady Bird/Lady B/Little B... She is used to me because we have been hanging out every day while I watched her peck buttons in the experiment for food but is pretty nervous around other people.
Looking for advise in a few areas:
1. Advise for socializing her, helping to make her more comfortable
2. She has difficulty perching on perches in the cage or on hands- seems like a balance problem, I'm assuming this will get better as she builds up foot dexterity because the cages they were kept in in the lab had no perches unfortunately :(
3. General tips about body language, what kind of feed combos, special treats and what greens we should try out etc
4. Any info about the sounds she makes! She's been pretty quiet since I brought her home a few days ago. However, when I pet her she makes soft clucking sounds which are super sweet

She seems pretty comfortable around me, when others approach she gets a little puffy and shaky but calms down when I'm nearby. She has started leaving the cage to walk around a bit, but not much.
Overall, she's a really sweet bird, just still pretty shy and uncertain. I think it's just because she's been in a lab until now, without much interaction with people. Luckily she never bites and seems curious and willing to meet new people, even if she gets a bit nervous.
Anyway sorry for such a long post, just very excited to give her a new life filled with love and freedom and would appreciate any advice at all! Excited to meet the community and to have a place to discuss Pigeon activities with such a lovely, passionate group of people. I learned so much about the complexity and intelligence of pigeons this year and have a lot of respect for them and all people who see and value those qualities in these great animals!
I uploaded a photo of her, not sure why it turned on its side haha.
A Pigeon's natural habitat are on cliffs and In holes in the Rock and clay. They are not tree dwellers, unless they have to be. They prefer flat surfaces and flat perches that are wide, like a cliff rock.

Pigeons are naturally nervousness because they are prey animals, so they keep their guard up, even if we humans know there is no danger, they have a quick reaction to surviving. They are not snugglers.

The bill thing is called billing, pigeon pairs do that before mating, young do it to their parent bird to be fed.

There are sounds pigeons make, grunts, coos, what I call "wauka wauka "sounds(it sounds like that..lol..) I figure if another pigeon knows what it means then I don't really need to, but if you have only one then I see a curiosity. I have just made guesses and it is not scientific, humans like to guess what they want the sounds to mean putting human emotions on it, I would say those are incorrect...lol.. Perhaps there is a study online about their calls, I think I read one ages ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts