Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there, as you can see this is my first post on the forum so please excuse my numbness ;)

anyhow, i have an allotment that i keep chickens and ducks in and the lady next door has a large brick building where these lahore pigeons have been breeding and living, i have been keeping an eye on these birds and they really got my attention, i asked her about them today and they're 3 weeks old and she said i can have them because there's lots of them living in there now, so i have picked 2 and they are beautiful looking birds, there is one more left that is nearly completely black that im thinking about getting aswell, :) i have built them a small shed today in the rain for them to live in and they seem quite happy, it has a clear plastic front and top on and they've got corn, water, and a nice perch, but they prefer to sit on a bit of wood on the floor.

the lady i got them off said to keep them i will need to keep them inside for 2-3 weeks so they can look out through the clear front and get a view of the surroundings otherwise it will fly straight back to her.

thought i would ask here and see if this is correct and any tips and info please let me know, cheers tom :cool:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
i think theyre lahore pigeons, here's a pic of them, im going down to them everyday and handling them to get them tame, but i was just wondering if i let them out would they just return to their original home?? and how can i stop them from doing this?? cheers tom

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi, Tom! I'm pretty new here myself, but wanted to say hi from one noob to another. You have beautiful birds! I know that there are very nutritious, 'all-in-one' pigeon food blends that are available in pet stores or seed stores--if you can't find one, I have been told that a dove food will work, like they sell for ringneck doves in pet stores.

I don't know much about pigeon loft design, so I will let someone else fill you in there, all I can tell you is KEEP IT CLEAN! Clean it every day. A dirty habitat makes a sick bird, and vet bills and medications are expensive. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Make sure the water is clean, too, change it and wash the bowls at least once a day. My bird likes to dump food in his water cup, so it's more than once a day for him!

Good luck to you on your new adventure, and I hope this helps! :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
to let them out or not to

If they have flown at all where they lived before PLEASE if you want to keep them do not let them out. I've made that mistake twice now and both times it cost me. First time I let out a yearling Jannesn hen who had not flown in races or been distance trained but had flown outside around her coop. I was using her to train young birds to start flying and it was going well until day 3 when she took off south and took one of the young birds with her. She was heading home and has not been see since nor had the little guy :(
Next time was a pure bred scion who had not been distance trained and he too vanished. I wanted to take myself out behind the barn and give myself a good solid thrashing. They say if a bird is mated up and has produced a few round that it may choose to stay. but even those who say it is possible admit that every now and again a bird leaves despite being mated. I've learned the hard way it's far too risky. So build them a nice big aviary so they can go outside and stretch their wings, get sun, bath in the rain showers and feed them greens which they can not get unless you provide them. Dandilions, darker lettuces, clover leaves. But I'd advise not letting them fly unless you have enough young that the loss will not leave you without stock.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Congratulations, you have tumblers! Either that, or muffed rollers. Lahores are MUCH larger, with a distinctive 'penguin' coloration. The good news is, your birds sure are pretty, and they'll be much better at flying that Lahores are. I think these birds will be safe to let out to fly around as they please, as long as you are outside with them. Hawks and other enemies are less likely to come around if they see you :p

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies, theres no worries about them returning home because they literally live next door and ive got a key to go and get them lol, i have 3 now and theyre all sisters i believe, my only concern is that their pigeon family live next door mam and dad i think and it would be annoying having to keep retrieving them every day i let them out.

i have put them in a larger shed today with a window and i've put 4/5 perches up for them including one right infront of the window and theyre sitting looking out of it all day, they are absolutely gorgous birds, they are a little bit timid at the minute but if you stroke them while theyre looking out the window and talk to them you can easily pick them up.

so should i leave them inside for 2 weeks and then take my home made window out and put a door in? cheers tom

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Yes, you should leave them in for at least two weeks. Since they were born right beside you, whenever the other flock is out and about, these will be tempted to go visit with them and possibly trap with them. Once you do start letting them out for some exercise, try not to let them out when your neighbor has theirs out. Maybe you could work out a schedule. Like you let yours out every other day, and they let theirs out when yours are in. That would save the trouble of retrieving your birds from them, and their birds from yours (because it's just as likely for her birds to join with yours!).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
only one problem, my allotment neighbour lets them roam in and out all day, i had watched these birds before i bought them and i noticed that the 3 babies that ive got used to fly around together and would usually swoop in and out of the building at different times to what the adult birds do.

cheers tom

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Ah. Well then, I guess you'll just have to deal with bringing them back. You never know though, your birds might just prefer to go back into their loft, instead of hanging out with your neighbor.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
they seem quite happy in their new loft so im hoping they will return, they werent really attached to the adult birds.

funny but they are really attached to eachother (they have been together from chicks), i adopted 2 of them yesterday and kept them in a hut until i got rid of my cokrels in the little shed, when i went in this morning they were sitting quite happy eating and looking through the plastic at the surroundings, and when i looked on top of the hut the last little chick that they grew up with was sitting on the roof, i felt really sorry for the poor little thing as all three of them used to fly together, so i thought stuff it if i'm having the pigeons i might aswell keep them together, so i adopted the third one today :cool:

i will get some pics up of them soon, one is lots of blue/grey/white colours, one is black with some white bits on top and under the wings (looks good when its in the sky) and the 3rd one is almost totally black

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Pretty birds :) I'm thinking those are probably young West of England Tumblers. I love their feathered feet!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks, i think theyre lovely, theyre very scared of me, i keep going down to see them and try and get them tame but its not very easy, the blue/grey/white one went crackers when i went to pick it up and was thinking about pecking me but i had a glove on so it wouldnt have hurt, ive left it to calm down a bit, they havent eaten much today but im used to feeding chickens and ducks that eat lots ;) any ideas on getting them tame?? i want them tame before i let them out in 2 weeks otherwise it will be a struggle, cheers tom

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Peanuts. Lots and lots of peanuts :p
You may have to put some in their feed dish for a few days until they get used to eating them, then they can't eat enough of them :p
Then you can try offering them some peanuts and seed from your hands, but they've got to be hungry, so do this before you feed them everyday. Eventually they'll warm up and come eat. And soon, they won't even need to be hungry :) Since they're young, the taming process will be easier.

By the way, shelled, raw spanish peanuts are the best. You can find them at just about any grocery store. Spanish peanuts are smaller and easier for them to eat.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks, i will give it a try, im going to remove their feeder tonight and go down in the morning with some peanuts and some corn and sit with them ;)

wish i had some of those strap jacket things that you put over their wings to put on while i handle them, would make it easier for handling

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Are all the perches long poles like I see in the pictures?
I would recommend get a 2x4 and cutting 6inch long pieces and nailing those up on the wall for the perches.
Pigeons love to roost on those kind of perches instead of trying to balance on a pole to relax and sleep.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
they were until today, ive put some shelves up (they prefered these in their old home) and they are using them and the poles, one of them is sleeping on a pole and the other 2 are on the shelf tonight :) cheers tom

·
Registered
632 Posts
I don't know much about pigeon loft design, so I will let someone else fill you in there, all I can tell you is KEEP IT CLEAN! Clean it every day. A dirty habitat makes a sick bird, and vet bills and medications are expensive. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Make sure the water is clean, too, change it and wash the bowls at least once a day.
Hi Tom,
I can see you're very excited about your new pets -- and they are beautiful! -- but please don't forget Whammytap's advice. She's spot on, the loft and especially their feeder and water dispenser need to be kept VERY clean, or they will get sick.
All the best for you and for them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeh thanks for the reminder, forgot to mention everything gets done every morning when i go to do the chickens and the ducks.

they all get fresh food and water everyday and a scrape out, then 2/3x a week i remove the plastic floor ive put in to protect the floor and clean the whole shed and floor with disinfectant :cool:

im crazy for keeping everything clean :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts