Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, I am new to Pigeons and am planing on buying 4 homer pigeons I am a little bit worried though that the pigeons are to old? the breeder says they are 4-7 weeks old does this mean they will try and fly back to the breeder ? also any tips on how long to keep in loft before first flight etc?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Hopefully they haven't actually flown outside their previous loft.
Depending on that and how far away their last home was, it may take a little longer to settle. Regardless, I think you'll be fine. Just keep them locked up for 3-4 weeks before letting them out. That'll give them plenty of time to get settled in and used to their new loft and flock mates. Also they'll get used to any kind feeding schedule during that time.
If you can, it will help to get a settling cage and a trap door. We use bob traps, which they have to push through the bobs to enter the loft. Once in, they can't get out because the bobs are too long and catch the inside wall of the loft. A settling cage is basically just a wire box that can fit snug up against the front of the building. By getting them all out into the settling cage, they can look around and memorize their surroundings without flying away or getting hit by predators. Then you can throw some food down and call them to it. They'll learn quickly how to work the trap door to get in and eat. This is called trap training, and makes having homing pigeons (or any pigeon breeds) a lot easier. You don't want them out when you're not there or hawks may come around. So to solve that, let them fly hungry, then once you have to leave or go inside, call them in to some food and there ya go, inside safe and sound.

If you already have an aviary on your loft (or any wire sections at least), that will do until you can make a settling cage. This year will be the first we have used a settling cage with homers, but we've also always had a large aviary where they can hang around and relax, taking in their surroundings. I've been able to settle birds older than yours by keeping them in for 4-6 weeks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hello everybody, I am new to Pigeons and am planing on buying 4 homer pigeons I am a little bit worried though that the pigeons are to old? the breeder says they are 4-7 weeks old does this mean they will try and fly back to the breeder ? also any tips on how long to keep in loft before first flight etc?

Thanks.
should be ideal mate if they flying to well put a rubber band round the flights for a while when putting the out on the loft

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
well the seller is from North Carolina and i am in california
Why are you buying pigeons from all the way across the US? Maybe you should find some younger ones in CA?
Bottom line is..........the older the bird, the harder to settle.......you asked and have gotten a few different answers, but no one can tell you in any certainty that if you settle birds at "such and such" age, you won't have a problem and if you settle them at THIS age, you will have a problem. I've had 5 birds take off from here, the loft that they were born and raised in.........
You might turn out 6, 4 week old pigeons and loose every single one that same day and you might turn out 6 10 week old birds and not loose any of them..........
There's no right answer here really. You take a risk every time you let the birds out, but the older the bird, the higher the risk.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
my young ones did well, I got them at 30-35 days old....I would not buy any older than that...but thats just me....so ....thats all:)

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
4 to 7 weeks old is perfect for settling the birds. Search for settling method in this forum. I wrote many already. LOL!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts