Pigeon-Talk banner

New to Pigeons!

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  aaa 
#1 ·
Hello fellow Pigeon-Talk members. I am new to this site and am anxious to receive advice. Currently I am rushed to house a found "white" pigeon with only a yellow band on one leg. He seems healthy and unharmed. He eats and drinks fine. I temporarily have him in my rabbit's play pen. It is 2'X4' wooden pen with a mesh wire. We made a wooden box for "Birdy" to go in, but he seems to prefer to sit on top of the box. He doesn't seem to use any of the space except when he feels like eating or drinking. I am fortunate in that my husband is a builder, so I have him almost ready to build my friend a new home/loft. I have searched the internet and have not been able to find Loft designs or even basic information such as how much space a bird needs and what a pigeon likes to do on a daily basis. I live in ct. and the Winters get pretty cold. I am unfamiliar with how to take care of "Birdy" when it comes to his house. Food, water, grit and all of that seem pretty easy to master. What about cleaning up the droppings? Keeping predators out!? Do pigeons like perches? Do they need ground in the coop? etc. Please help! I know lots about animals but this is completley new to me! In the meantime, another pigeon has been found and forwarded to me! Looks like I will be getting another bird and possibly more! I really need Loft ideas and basic information on a day in the life of a pet pigeon! Thanks for your help in advance. I look forward to this new venture and want to do it right.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Cricket,

Welcome to Pigeon Talk. Many of our members have small lofts in which they keep their birds and I'm sure some of them will be responding shortly to your questions. In the meantime, here is a link to a previous thread which discusses many ideas for loft plans. As you read through the posts on the thread, you will see many links that you can click on to see examples. Just click on the following link:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=10000)

Also, if you go to our "Pigeon Daily" section, then click on "Resources," you will find many threads that discuss the care and feeding, etc. of our pigeon friends.

Again, welcome, and I'm sure you will be receiving more replies shortly.

Linda

#3 ·
Hi Cricket and welcome to Pigeon-Talk! Are you someone I referred from the 911 Pigeon Alert list .. your story sounds familiar from there? No matter, but it's great to have you here.

Pigeons like flat surfaces .. like 1 x 4's, 1 x 6's (that's inches) to "perch" on. They will use round perches, but they really like the flat surfaces better. Also a brick or cinder block or two in the cage/pen/loft is good .. they will stand on it, and it will help wear down their toenails. There is another type of popular perch for pigeons .. the "V" perch.

You =do= want to use 1/2 inch or smaller hardware cloth for the wire part of your housing, and you do want to be certain that nothing can dig in from the bottom of the housing area. Ergo .. concrete floor or buried hardwire cloth under dirt to keep predators out. You also want to make sure that the pigeon coop can be made draft free and rain/snow free in bad weather. It's very important that the birds and their "house" area remain dry and as comfortable as possible in bad weather. You'll find lots of great ideas and threads here on Pigeon-Talk.

Have a look at the thread that Lin posted, and we'll all take it from there.

Welcome to Pigeon-Talk!

Terry

#4 ·
Hello TAWhatley, thanks for your reply to my lengthy plea. I did recieve an email from you that directed me here. Thanks for that as well. I obviously can use all the help I can get. I did notice flat surfaces seem to be his preference. I am afraid the cage conditions right now are wetter than he would want it to be. It has been raining and I have a tarp over the top and sides of the hutch, which is off the ground. I feel horrible at night with the wind and the rain. I am almost tempted to bring him inside and place him in a large bird cage! He will have a proper house as soon as we can sort out the details. Looks like this will become a new hobby for me in no time. I love this bird so much already. He seems to know my voice and looks forward to my visits. He looks right into my eyes whereas before he would go to the farthest part of the cage. I just want to make things comfortable before the Winter arrives. Thanks again for getting me here.

#5 ·
Thanks Lin! I will check out that thread as soon as I am finished with my replies here! I think this site is great. I am happy to have been led here to such great people that care so much about these birds. I know I will learn lots and my birds will benefit. I am anxious to get the loft done and set these birds up in style! I hope I hear from more members soon.

#6 ·
Hi Cricket. Looks like you're hooked just like all of us are. The more you are around Birdy, the more you will love him. Pigeons are very, very special. They certainly add a lot to our lives. They have their own little personalities and you learn to relate to them. I'm very happy for you and Birdy. maggie

#8 ·
Good luck Cricket! Sounds like any bird in need that comes your way will be very lucky.

Does anyone have plans or pictures of a different type of loft ? coop? I need to also make one (& fast too) for non-releaseable birds. I'm up to 8 w/PMV & 2 others and they are desparate for some room to stretch their wings.

Does anyone have a predator proof, large area they keep them in? I want it to be as big as I can afford to make it, because I feel so bad that they will probably live out their lives there.

To make it predator proof, does it have to have the bottom underground or can it be 1/2" or smaller wire mesh above ground?

Thanks for any help.

#9 ·
Leslie, I just received this link from someone thru my personal email and wow there are all kinds of loft ideas! go to http://www.pigeon.org/showcaselofts.htm and check out what others have built! I hope you find what you are looking for. I know I will as soon as we can decide on what makes the most sense and where in the yard to set up. Interesting question about the bottom wire mesh. I have seen many lofts above ground on posts, so my assumption is you can do it either way. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.