Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helo everyone,

I am brand new to pigeons and have not even got my first ones yet. Id like to start out slow and im still figuring out how im going to make my loft. I wanted to attach it to the barn just need to figure out how big it needs to be and how to make it. I I dont have a lot of money to invest and was woundering whats the best way to start racing with the least amount of money? I am starting back to school next month so funds are limited but Id like to give it a go. Any advise or reading sudgestions for a newbie?

Thanks all

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Your loft can be any size it just limits the amount of birds you can have. Get in contact with your local club tell them you want to start and don't have money and some club members will breed or give you some late hatches to get you started.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
The best advice I could give you is...Build a small loft,or use a small area in the barn to start...Make a window opening in the barn,and build a LARGE avairy for the birds to hang out and get fresh air...Get 3 or 4 pair of strong pigeons,from someone who races his birds to at least 500 miles...Learn how to keep them healthy,by investing $50.00 in the best book available on pigeon health....After you complete your education.or even before,you can breed a few babies to fly around,or even race...The #1 problem that a new pigeon flyer has is that they lose alot of birds..And most of the losses come from the birds NOT being healthy...A new flyer tries real hard to do the things right..But healthy birds are the #1 thing...It is even a little hard for established lofts to keep their birds healthy...So get your education in school.and educate yourself in the art of keeping your birds super healthy......When your loft is ready.you can probally get a pair or two from a couple of folks on this board..As long as you pay for the shipping box,and the shipping cost....Which is around $50 total....Good luck,and keep us informed on how your doing with your loft.....Alamo

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Helo everyone,

I am brand new to pigeons and have not even got my first ones yet. Id like to start out slow and im still figuring out how im going to make my loft. I wanted to attach it to the barn just need to figure out how big it needs to be and how to make it. I I dont have a lot of money to invest and was woundering whats the best way to start racing with the least amount of money? I am starting back to school next month so funds are limited but Id like to give it a go. Any advise or reading sudgestions for a newbie?

Thanks all
Try to find some local racing pigeon guys, and with any luck you can find some friends there that will help you get a start. One way to do this is to fill out the "Find a Club" form on the AU web site.

http://www.pigeon.org/findaclub.php

There may be other types of clubs in the area, but I don't know who their contact might be.

·
Banned
56 Posts
The best advice I could give you is...Build a small loft,or use a small area in the barn to start...Make a window opening in the barn,and build a LARGE avairy for the birds to hang out and get fresh air...Get 3 or 4 pair of strong pigeons,from someone who races his birds to at least 500 miles...Learn how to keep them healthy,by investing $50.00 in the best book available on pigeon health....After you complete your education.or even before,you can breed a few babies to fly around,or even race...The #1 problem that a new pigeon flyer has is that they lose alot of birds..And most of the losses come from the birds NOT being healthy...A new flyer tries real hard to do the things right..But healthy birds are the #1 thing...It is even a little hard for established lofts to keep their birds healthy...So get your education in school.and educate yourself in the art of keeping your birds super healthy......When your loft is ready.you can probally get a pair or two from a couple of folks on this board..As long as you pay for the shipping box,and the shipping cost....Which is around $50 total....Good luck,and keep us informed on how your doing with your loft.....Alamo
Whats the name of the book that you recommend Alamo?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advise everyone. I was able to talk to the guy from the Topeka racing club ( im in KS near Emporia). He was very helpfull. said they are having a club picnic coming up and invited me and my husband. There are also other clubs in Kansas city, Witchta and other places I was really surprised to see so many in KS. And I love to know what the book is as well as any others that would be helpfull.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Here`s two good books for pigeon fanciers.......
A Veterinary Approach to Pigeon Health by Dr David Marx....$45.00..........
The Flying Vet`s Pigeon Health & Management by Colin Walker...$65.00.........
There are others ofcourse,but these I think cover any and all problems you might run into.....Siegel & Son,Inc.... and.... Foy`s carry the books...And probally some other pigeon/pet shops also......Buy from the dealer who gives the best price with shipping...Alamo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts