Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi
I just started raising pigeons again after not keeping them for about 20 years, at this time I have 6 homers 2 white and 4 saddle backs the saddle backs are red and black check. Not that all of this has to be said, anyway my question is they are wanting to pair up and breed ,and i'm not sure if it's to early to let them do this.... WOULD LIKE SOME INPUT

THANKS,
YOURS IN THE FANCY,

BLUE BAR 20
I don't know if you want 09 birds or 2010 yb. It also depends on the weather if it permits you to let them breed. I'm breeding my pair of breeding BB homers. They have 2 week old squabs right now. But I live in California so it's still ok for me and I don't race. Otherwise they will be considered old bird for next year. Most racers breed them in the spring and have their yb ready by the end of summer. I hope this helps.

Joey

·
Registered
134 Posts
racing homers

HI

IF YOUR GOING TO SEND THEM OFF FOR RACES YOU NEED TO FIND OUT WHEN THE CLUBS START TAKING BIRDS. IF SOME CLUBS START TAKING BIRDS IN FEB OR LATER YOU NEED TO GET YOUR YOUNG BIRD READY TO BE BANDED AT THE FIRST OF JAN WHEN THE NEW BAND COME OUT. SO THE BIRD CAN BE HATCHED IN DEC AND BAND 7 TO 10 DAYS LATER.

I STILL HAVE MY BIRD TOGETHER HERE IN MO IT HAS BEEN IN THE 70'S AND 60'S HERE IN THE DAY AT NIGHT IT GET COOLER I WILL BE PUTTING PLASTIC OVER MY SHED'S AND CAGES SOON.

THANKS VIC:rolleyes::eek:

·
Registered
508 Posts
welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
690 Posts
I'm in PA. I pair my birds Dec. 24th. It's there x-mas present. :) I know I will have bands for my new YB team when babies arrive.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Around here the race people pair birds the day after thanksgiving. Gives time for pairs to take Then the 10 days to lay then the hatch time Then banding at jan, first So early young are race ready in the fall. So it is not far off on pairing birds.

G

·
its true if you want to race birds you really shouldnt breed them to soon or you wont have your bands to band them and if you breed them to late they wont be ready for the race season so it really all depends on what your planning on doing with your birds be it racing or just hobby flying ;)

p.s. if your just hobby flying the march would be a better time of year to breed your birds :D

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't race or show I just raise them for my own enjoyment . So would there be anything wrong with letting them breed ? As far as banding goes I don't band my birds ,so not having bands wouldn't be a problem.
Thanks for all the input,
Yours in the fancy

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I don't race or show I just raise them for my own enjoyment . So would there be anything wrong with letting them breed ? As far as banding goes I don't band my birds ,so not having bands wouldn't be a problem.
Thanks for all the input,
Yours in the fancy
you really should band your babies, it helps to remember what year they were hatched and if one goes astray you can be traced so the bird gets back to you. If you live in a cold climate it is best to wait till spring if you do not have a good reason to hatch this time of year, as the eggs and or babies can get chilled in the winter months. you can use your fake eggs untill then.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I think it also helps the birds go through a good moult if they are separated. I separate in the fall so they can do this without the added stress of breeding. I pair up around the first of December. Having the birds separated a few months really helps, especially if you re changing your pairings around. I pair up so early so I can have young birds as old as possible and preferably through the moult by the first race in August.

·
Registered
628 Posts
We will put our cock birds in the individual pens on Dec 1 and introduce the hens 5 days later. We are in northern Illinois and have bred early young each year. However, we do breed most young in the heated garage. Once they are fully feathered they move to the YB loft and the temp is slowly reduced and the lights are regulated as we want depending on the system we fly that year.

G

·
i think you would be better off breeding them from march on but thats really up to you ,some winters can be really brutal on babys thou ..and banding as was said earlier is a great thing and you should really consider it in my opinion ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts