Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the sport of Racing Pigeons. This is my First year of training and racing. I started out with 30, im down to 2 birds left after training. I done what I was told to do. However, Could I not have the Quality of birds people talk about needing? These birds I bought cause someone said there good Quality, But apparently they was no better then the free birds that I got left. I bought 25 young birds, and was given 5 birds free from another guy that said those 5 would be the ones i have left from training. Well, the 2 birds i have left was from the Free birds that the guy gave me. So My question is, I know its too late for me now for races. Should I try to get more young birds so i can fly yearlings next year? or just wait and try to get young birds next year? I kinda would love to get some white Racers if anyone has any wanting to get rid of. Free would be awesome since the free ones seemed to do better then the ones i bought.... can anyone help out a new Flyer? Please!

·
Registered
803 Posts
I am new to the sport of Racing Pigeons. This is my First year of training and racing. I started out with 30, im down to 2 birds left after training. I done what I was told to do. However, Could I not have the Quality of birds people talk about needing? These birds I bought cause someone said there good Quality, But apparently they was no better then the free birds that I got left. I bought 25 young birds, and was given 5 birds free from another guy that said those 5 would be the ones i have left from training. Well, the 2 birds i have left was from the Free birds that the guy gave me. So My question is, I know its too late for me now for races. Should I try to get more young birds so i can fly yearlings next year? or just wait and try to get young birds next year? I kinda would love to get some white Racers if anyone has any wanting to get rid of. Free would be awesome since the free ones seemed to do better then the ones i bought.... can anyone help out a new Flyer? Please!
I agree your doing something very wrong to lose that many birds already , get a mentor please and learn a little or maybe a lot before trying to get more birds, because in my opinion its you not the birds that are lacking experiance ... and personally I wouldnt get anymore birds this year unless they are breeders for next year to start you in youngbirds for next years races so please do get a mentor and let them show you the way in everything that is pigeon.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Don't rush into racing this is what alot of people are doing wrong because they are rushing for the upcoming race. I highly suggest have some experience first for about a year before you even think of racing. There is alot to learn not just feeding, and tossing the birds. Join a club, learn from the expert because all of them was at one time was in your shoes too. Go to AU website and they will send you brochure on how to take care of pigeons. Website is also a good source and read alot of books about racing pigeon. Hope this help.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Your very high losses could be due to alot of things. The quality of birds you started with may not have been that good, training birds too early (I personally like to start training when birds are moulted out to their 3rd-4th flight), training tosses done during less than favorable weather conditions (too late in evening or on windy days), or it could be as simple as birds not being in perfect health or feed issue.
Getting more youngbirds (late hatches) at this time would be very tough if you live in a colder climate like me. Birds need to be trained out, and in another couple months snow is on the ground which is almost impossible to successfully train in. I'd suggest picking up some breeding pairs, and start breeding young in January/February. Hopefully in the local racing pigeon club by you, a member will take the initiative to help you out by mentoring you. Regardless though, whoever you get birds from in the future, make sure they race themselves and have decent race results. If they don't race, more than likely their birds won't do well for you. Best of luck.

Dennis Kuhn
http://www.pigeonsuppliesplus.com

http://www.whiteracingpigeons.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.