Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd appreciate any advise 'cause I have no idea what to do.

I was gifted a pair of birds in late Oct. and built them a 6x8 foot loft and quickly threw up a 5 gal.bucket for a nest. I left about 3 inches of the lid on to keep things from coming out. I put in some alfalfa and pine needles and they quickly made a nest and they sat on two eggs. They sat about a week longer than necessary then abandoned them, which I removed. They were not fertile. I did not remove the old nesting material.
They made a nest on the floor which has about an inch of play sand on it. They only used pine needles.....well, maybe a small amount of alfalfa stems. Dec.26 there were 2 squeekers!!!!
I live in Ft Worth Texas and the weather has been fairly mild. I keep a 100 watt light on 24/7 and also use a 1500w heater for the colder times. During the day I uncover one of the 2 screened (1/2 square mesh) windows and they can perch on the sill. I have used some diatomatious earth on the sand.
They have one of the 2 or so gallon auto waterers and a feed bowl that they can't poop in and I have let them eat all they want. They also have grit which the seem to really like.
Thanks, David :)

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Hi David!

WELCOME!

You came to the right place for questions and answers...

Uh...WHAT are your questions??:)

Shi & Mr. Squeaks

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome. By reading the way I have been keeping them, is there anything I am doing wrong or something I should add?

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Had a feeling, but just wanted to make sure...

Our more knowledgable members will be along to answer and comment.

I live in an apartment with ONE pigeon and 3 cats, so I do not advise on lofts/coops/dovecotes and those who care for more than a few pigeons...for the most part...except for information that I have learned from the site.

Hang in there...others will be along...:D

Shi

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Hi Davied, and welcome to the site. It sounds as if you're doing just fine. With babies, they will need a lot of fresh food and fresh water. You can feel free to change the nesting materials in a few days if the nest gets too messy; the parents won't object too much or abandon the babies. ;) When you get a chance, take some pictures for us. :D

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I'd appreciate any advise 'cause I have no idea what to do.

I was gifted a pair of birds in late Oct. and built them a 6x8 foot loft and quickly threw up a 5 gal.bucket for a nest. I left about 3 inches of the lid on to keep things from coming out. I put in some alfalfa and pine needles and they quickly made a nest and they sat on two eggs. They sat about a week longer than necessary then abandoned them, which I removed. They were not fertile. I did not remove the old nesting material.
They made a nest on the floor which has about an inch of play sand on it. They only used pine needles.....well, maybe a small amount of alfalfa stems. Dec.26 there were 2 squeekers!!!!
I live in Ft Worth Texas and the weather has been fairly mild. I keep a 100 watt light on 24/7 and also use a 1500w heater for the colder times. During the day I uncover one of the 2 screened (1/2 square mesh) windows and they can perch on the sill. I have used some diatomatious earth on the sand.
They have one of the 2 or so gallon auto waterers and a feed bowl that they can't poop in and I have let them eat all they want. They also have grit which the seem to really like.
Thanks, David :)
Hi David and welcome to PT. Sounds like to me you are doing ok for now. I do have a couple of suggestions though, if you don't mind.
First of all, I would build an aviary and attach it to the outside of the window, so that your birds can get out in the fresh air. If you can do this, do as suggested and wrap the aviary with 1/4" hardward cloth. It WILL save you possible heart ache in the future.
A 6 X 8 loft is a pretty good size so this may or may not become a problem in the future, but just in case...........once your babies are around 30 days old or so, the parents are going to start chasing them from the nest. By this time, your hen will probably be on another set of eggs. Pigeons don't recognize their babies as being their babies after a certain age. To them, they are just "pigeons" and can be seen as "intruders". The adult birds only care about the here and now and their here and now will be the current set of eggs and the eventual second set of babies. Adult birds have been known to beat up a baby pretty badly. So, just keep an eye on things to make sure that doesn't happen. With the size loft you have, it's possible that the babies will learn to just stay out of their way, HOWEVER, since this one pair of birds is the only pair you have, I suspect that in their mind, the whole loft belongs to them and they may not be happy with other birds being in their territory. Just a heads up. Better to know BEFORE hand, than come here in a few weeks with a youngster that's been pecked and injured.
Other than that, seems you've got a good handle on things. Good luck.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the help.
So, do I really need to heat their loft? What about closing the windows on the cold windy days or nights? Is that necessary?

How do I post photos?.....thnx, David

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Thanks all for the help.
So, do I really need to heat their loft? What about closing the windows on the cold windy days or nights? Is that necessary?

How do I post photos?.....thnx, David

Here's a link on posting pictures.
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showpost.php?p=158505&postcount=5

As for heating the loft, no, you do not need to heat the loft. Pigeons as well as other birds/animals have lived years without a roof over there head, much less a heated home. It really is not necessary. As long as the birds are healthy and have enough food, they will be just fine.
Now, I DO close up my windows on extremely cold nights, but I'm talking 25 degrees or colder. If your loft is facing away from the prevailing winds, then there's no need to close up the loft on a windy day.
The back of my main loft faces N NE and most of our winds come from that direction. If it's VERY windy and VERY cold, I will close up the back of the loft during the nighttime hours.

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Many thanks for the picture, David!!

That is one proud momma and those babies are just as cute as can be!

Beautiful picture!!

Shi & Squeaks

:D :D :D :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts