Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I've been lucky enough to have a lovely pigeon visit my garden for the past two years. I feed it, talk to it, and it sits on my garden table and lets me stroke it. He has a blue ring on his leg, and is from the Irish Homing Union. Via another site, someone has been in touch with the owner as I wanted them to know he was safe. He's 4 years old.

All was normal until Friday. He was sitting near my patio, puffed out and looking a bit out of sorts. I gave him some food, and put this on the patio and also in my guinea pig run which is covered (it was starting to rain). He walked straight in there and sheltered from the rain. As he looked unwell, I firstly put him in my garage overnight, then because it was not warm in there, I brought him into the kitchen (on a box in a tray under the table). He stayed in there last night, and is still in with me.

He will drink now and again (I've seen him drink about twice a day), but he doesn't seem to want to eat. Although he's been fairly still and still puffed out, he had a walk around the kitchen earlier and had a peck on the floor. We doesn't seem to want seeds or peanuts though.

He's quite puffed out, and his droppings are watery/slimy and range from being fairly clear to having a greenish colour. He seems to perk up when the garden door opens, but because of his condition, I don't really want to risk letting him out into the cold. I went out and bought a hutch-type home for him (it doesn't really look like a rabbit hutch), because if he gets better, I want to keep him in there for a few days with food and water, and he can loft in there where he's safe. I'd like him to know he has somewhere safe to come back to, and I'll look after him. He's been in the 'wild' for over 2 years, so is a real survivor and I want to do my best for him.

However, I'm really concerned about his condition but just don't know what to do. I can't see any obvious injury, and both his wings seem fine (he had a bit of a flap earlier) but mostly sits there puffed up. I can't see anything obvious around his mouth or eyes either, and I can't hear anything nasty with his breathing.

Does anyone have any advice they can offer, as I feel rather helpless.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
984 Posts
This bird needs medicine, and I think it is time for him to retire from wild life. Pigeons in the wild live to an average of 3 years old, so for this kind of rough living he is an old man.

I would see about taking him to a vet, or calling his owner for suggestions because the owner would have medicines handy.
Here are some starting tips for handling the illness of the sick bird, and Thank you for caring!
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=8822

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for your quick reply. Not sure if there's an avian vet near me, but I'll have a look. Even if I can suggest something to the vet, I can try to get some medicine and administer it myself if necessary.

I wonder if there are any forum members from the UK

Any suggestions on whether I should try to feed him something to keep his strength up? He won't go for the seed and peanuts I have for him :confused:

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Pigeons have a tendency to stop eating when they're sick and in many cases it can be their downfall. For the moment, if you have or can get any puppy chow, you can feed him some of that. You may call it something other than that, but it's essentially pelleted dog food about the size of dried peas. You may need to even hold the bird and put some down him one at a time the hard way. You can dip them in water for a second and that'll help make them a bit slippery. Another thing you can do to help the bird is get it under a strong light bulb or heat lamp just a few inches up (about a foot/ 30 cm). The warmth will soak through and help.

Pidgey

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
You did the right thing to bring this pigeon in. I'm amazed he has survived two years particularly since he was banded and used to living in a loft environment. So, thank you so much for taking him in.

There are a number of members in the UK and should be checking in soon.

Pigeons in the wild can become sick from a variety of illnesses. As a general rule, we treat immediately for worms and coccidiosis. Another real problem is canker. Can you gently open his beak and see if there are any cheesy deposits, yellow in color in the inside of his mouth?

I would encourage you to take him to a vet - making sure it is not one that will imeediately put it to sleep - and have them check him over.

Any of the diseases I mentioned earlier require medicine. Hopefully, one of the UK members can help you with those. I'll PM Cyro (Cynthia) now to alert her about your thread.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Incidentally, the bird could be sick with Coccidiosis, worms, Trichomoniasis (commonly: canker) or a host of bacterial diseases. There are many different medications used depending on what it is. The first simple test that you can do is open his beak and look inside for anything that looks like a cheesy button. You should also note how his breath smells. If there's no apparent odor at all, that would be normal. If there's a sour smell then that would be a symptom of note.

Pidgey

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You did the right thing to bring this pigeon in. I'm amazed he has survived two years particularly since he was banded and used to living in a loft environment. So, thank you so much for taking him in.

Pigeons in the wild can become sick from a variety of illnesses. As a general rule, we treat immediately for worms and coccidiosis. Another real problem is canker. Can you gently open his beak and see if there are any cheesy deposits, yellow in color in the inside of his mouth?

I would encourage you to take him to a vet - making sure it is not one that will imeediately put it to sleep - and have them check him over.

Any of the diseases I mentioned earlier require medicine. Hopefully, one of the UK members can help you with those. I'll PM Cyro (Cynthia) now to alert her about your thread.
Thank you so much for this, Maggie. Be great if Cyro looks in - not that everyone else's advice isn't much appreciated. I've tried to look inside his beak (he's strong and doesn't like me forcing it open), and it looks clean inside.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Good to see you on here. Can you enlist anyones help to look in the mouth? Wrap him in a towel, one person hold the bird whilst the other gently prises the beak open, they don't like it and will struggle but if you are gentle you wont hurt him.

Sue;)

·
Registered
13,045 Posts

I agree and as Pidgey said it's very important to get some food down the bird. The best way would be to soak the dog biscuits so they are soft. Then open the bird's mouth and put individual pieces at the back of the throat and he will swallow. Start with the amount of two heaping teaspoons full to see if he can tolerate that much. Any unused food should be thrown away.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would there be a list of ingredients on the package? If so, could you list them here?

Pidgey
That was hard work - as I put the food into a plastic container and throw away the bag! I've had a look on a few website, and have found this:

"Care+ is high in protein, but low in fat, as guinea-pigs are inclined to put on weight. It contains Omega 3 and Omega 6, as well as extra Vitamin C which they must have in their diet, as they cannot synthesize it themselves. A premium food that ensures your guinea pig stays in optimum health.

Feed materials: Cereals, derivatives of vegetable origin, seeds, vegetable protein extracts, meat and animal derivatives, minerals, milk and milk derivatives, mannan oligosaccharide, vegetables, algae"

Sorry - not sure if this is of any help!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Can you not 'borrow' a spoonful or two of dried dog or cat food?

At a pinch I guess wholemeal bread soaked and formed into round pellets would do.

·
Registered
984 Posts
"TOXIC PLANTS

Amanita, Amarylis, Ardisia plants (berries of Arum

Lily), Asparagus berries ornamental, Australian

Flametree, Autumn Crocus, Avacodo (Bark, Leaves, Seeds,

& Skin of Fruit), Balsam Pear, Baneberry, Bean Plants

(Castor, Horse, Fava, Broad, Glory) [as with MANY

vegetable PLANTS], Bird of Paradise (White Flower, too),

Bishop’s Weed, Bittersweet Nightshade, Bleeding Heart,

Bloodroot, Blue Bonnet, Blue-Green Algae..."

Wow, I'm getting good at using the Resources section of this website! I personally don't know anything, I use resources others have gathered.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have good news! He's eaten some seed. I was trying to put some in his beak (in a rather clumsy way), and he went over to some newspaper with seed scattered over it, and started pecking it up. Not a huge amount, but it's the first I've seen him eat in 48 hours. I offered him a bowl of water, and he took a huge gulp.

I think this is progress, but will monitor closely.

Thanks for the advice so far :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts