Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I am in the Philippines.
Staying here as senior citizen under the virus umbrella.

few months ago, our dog found a dove chick which I fed up.
She is now about 4-5 months old.

She is very bounded to me, and especially in night time she want to be close.
What i want to ask about is:
She is spending much time with the feathers. Some feathers about 1-1,5 inch is picked and found on the floor.
Sometimes even a long wing or tail feather is picked
A lot of smaller particles is found around her, very small, but white.
What is it she is picking away?

I am concerned, she perhaps is bored, but even when I cuddle her, she use every chance to continue.
Is this behavior normal?

She has never been locked up in a cage.
I build one of half wood, so she can avoid be wet, when I place it outside.
Half of it is made with screen, 1 x 1 inch with a screen door.
She stay there when she decide to. If she does not want to be there, she work hard to get out.
How long time does it take to make her comfortable in the house?
I want to make her more independent of us.
And probably she will join other doves around, she use to take a sightseeing every morning, but comes back after an hour or so.

We are stunned over how intelligent and smart she is.
Could have written a roman about her.

But this for now.

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
What you see her doing with her feathers is all normal. She is grooming herself. The white stuff that's getting shed, is also normal. Looks like dandruff, I can't now remember the correct name for it.

She probably prefers to be close to you at nighttime, cause that makes her feel safer. Do you feed the other doves in your garden? Does she spend time outside free flying and interacting with them before returning back inside? If so, then she has the best of both worlds. Give her time. She is almost mature and will start seeking a mate. Sometimes when raised from a very young age, they can become human imprinted. Meaning she will rather prefer the company of humans than one of her own kind. But I've had human imprinted pigeons that later on took mates of their own kind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Marina.
Thank you for your explanation.
I was worried since so many small feathers is around on the floor, and the smallest is like dandruff yes.

You are right, she really want to be close at night now.
I used to keep here in my workshop from we found her for weeks, but then one night she decided not to stay there, and did all she could to fly out.
From that day I started keeping her in our house. She slept in my bedroom, sitting on the corner of a bench for many nights.
Then she found a higher cabinet in the room outside the bedroom, which became her favorite place.

Every afternoon she guard the front or back door to be let in. As soon as she find a half open door, she walk in like a princess. She walk all the way to the room with the cabinet and fly up. But the last few days, she want me to be there too, and if I go back to the table or sofa she fly down again.
When I sit on the sofa with my laptop, she place herself o the top of the screen, or on my leg, or on my shoulders grooming my hair.

I have tried to make her reduce the grooming of herself, but did not succeed.
I guess evenings is important for grooming.

With other birds.
The last week I place her on top of a very tall ladder.
There she sit for many minutes looking around. Then she fly and meet other doves in the neighborhood. Today I could see her with a very dark dove, they flew around in the tall coconut palms, so she is for sure seeking a boyfriend.

Will see how long she is away today, she use to come back after an hour or so. So I hope she will find a partner and have a normal dove life.

And here she came. While writing these words, she landed on the terrace and came to the glass door. I open, she walks in, fly up on a table where her seed is, and started eating breakfast. :)
She stayed with the other doves for an hour even today.

Ok. I built a house for her.
Is it a good idea to train her to stay in that house outside in night, so she get less contact with me, and will be searching more contact with her own kind?
Or will she be very unsafe out there?
What do you guys advice me?

Would like to insert pictures, but they are not on the net. How to do that?

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
You can just click on the paperclip on the top right of your phone and then choose a photo from your gallery to upload.

They also prefer to sleep in a high spot at night for safety, that's why she flies to the cabinet. Sounds as if she is human imprinted, considers you as her partner and wants to start a nest up there. You can provide her with a small reed basket on the cupboard. She will probably lay two unfertilized eggs (if you have a female) and incubates them. If you have a male, he will start bow cooing to you. That is courtship behaviour.

Why don't you put her food outside rather? Let her get more used to eating and being outside with the other doves.

If you build a aviary outside, makes sure it's completely safe against predators. It should also be high (2 metres) with a safe protected spot for sleeping.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for second reply.
About feeding outside, have done that for a long time. I spread the corn around on the grass, so she/he need to walk around searching for them.
The food I buy is 7 different seeds, wheat, rye, barley etc.
Sunflower seeds and green peas she don't like.
Also we have pigeon pellets (with red color) here and other pellets for hens and chicken.
But the other doves does not enter our property, so they will not eat together.

I enclose a picture of the house I built. Half of it is protected for rain, the other is open screen as you see.
And I already have a post, almost two meter high to put the house on top. Will close it in night time to avoid cats to attack.

You wrote: If you have a male, he will start bow cooing to you.
The cooing of the doves here, is very low, blowing up the chest. Can not explain the sound, but different from most I found sound track of, on youtube.
I took that for being a female, because he/she lifted the back up like what a female do when scratched on the back.
But two times I have seen him/her pressing the back down on the table, and rapidly moving it side to side. What invitation is that?
Have so far not seen any male sex organ.
So I am confused :)

Also she/he is very aggressive to my wife and her brother. When they come close she/he attack and bite and tear. Bite the skin, bite the cloths, even if I am not near. Than can happen anywhere inside or outside the house.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
Sounds as if he is bonded to you and that he might be a male. The pressing down of the body and moving the tail is how they mate. He might start doing that while sitting on your hand. My 2 that was imprinted always tried mating with my hand until they started getting interested in other females. The best will be to ignore his advances. It will be difficult and take time, but I'm sure he will get the message. You can always try adopting a female and see how they get on. You will just need to do a slow introduction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts