Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm new here in Pigeon Talk and also a beginner in taking care of pigeons I've also read some of your discussions before registering.
I came to ask if there is any cure for pigeons having cold? Well I'm not actually sure if its a cold but my pigeon is somewhat sneezing.
Would greatly appreciate any advice/help from everyone. thank you:)

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Hello and welcome !

Sneezing generally isn't a good sign. It could mean a respiratory problem. You should immediately separate him/her from any other pigeons and put him in a cage or box, on heat ( an electric heating pad or blanket underneath a towel...so he can stand/sit on the towel without contacting the heating pad/blanket). Set it on LOW.

If you do not have this, put him in a warm room where the ambient temperature is 70 degrees or warmer. Maybe next to a space heater (but NOT the electric-coil kind which gives off fumes which can kill a bird).

...give food and water in the cage/carrier/box.

Then observe...is he eating and drinking ? Are his poops OK ? or do they look unusual ?

Is he fluffed up a lot ? Do his eyes tend to close a lot ? is he breathing quickly or with his mouth open ? Is he still, or does he move around a lot and look like he wants out ?

Or does he seem alert, interested, energetic ?

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I really like your advice of just observing first and seeing what you are up against before you suggest any kind of treatment--I am not a rehabber but this approach to me is very very valuable in the treating of pigeon sicknesses--of course --there are some cases that you know immediately and prefer to do something now but to many rush to too many different diagnosis without real observation first--just my opinion--a lay person but one who has cared for a lot of pigeons.....c.hert

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi there! thanks jaye and c.hert. Actually it started sneezing when it flew out of its home almost a week ago and we had trouble coaxing it to return so it stayed overnight at our neighbors rooftop since it had only been a few days with us since that incident happened.

@ jaye
- It is staying outside. is it ok for it?
- have sufficient food and water in its cage
- eating and drinking and poops looked normal
-moves around its cage
- yes its aler, energetic

the female pigeon and its mate stayed overnight but only the female is sneezing

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
it depends on what the cause of the sneezing is, allergies? dust? viral? bacterial?, you can only treat the bacterial with meds,if it has not turned into a bacterial infection you should give it rest and clean feed and water, just as a human with a cold would, to support their immune system, a bit of garlic in the water and vitamins on a regular basis. if you can get the bird and hold it, and check it's weight, and push down a bit on his nostrils if he has liquid or mucus coming out he may need some meds.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Mint...hanks for the reply. I am unclear, however, on what you wrote.

Are you saying you had the pigeon... then released it...now it is sneezing and you cannot get it back ?

Or are you saying you have it back ?

And..how often does she sneeze ? Consistently or just periodically ?

Where is PH ? ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
@spirit wing
I don't think that it's bacterial though since I always check the pigeon thrice a day and change their water twice a day. Also cleans their cage every other day.

@ Jaye
Yes I got the pigeons back a day after the incident and that when they started to sneeze. How often does she sneeze? Not sure coz I could hear the other one sneezing consistently when I feed them while the other I guess periodically.

PH = Philippines where mid morning to afternoon is too hot since its summer in here and evening till early mornings a lil bit cold

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
OK, so you have them, and they are confined...and you do NOT live in Philadelphia (!)

......It is hot during the day so she doesn't need heat at that time, but at night I would suggest keeping her in a warm place.

If sneezing is consistent, there's something wrong there. I am a bit out of ideas on what might be causing it, though. Can yu look inside her mouth and check her cere (nostril area) and see if anything looks inflamed or unusual ????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts