Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello eveyone,
I am a newbie in racing/homing pigeon, i just got my loft built and now it's time to get some birds. My question is where should i go get some good birds, i am planning to get a young bird kit so that i can fly them. I am not racing right now since i don't have much time for it. What is your advise?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Pigeon Talk,

Where are you located? I would first contact your local homing pigeon club and see what they might have to offer.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Check local internet sites for pigeons clubs and breeders. DO NOT buy any birds sight unseen unless you know you can trust the breeder (See the thread about Mojave Breeding Station and Pigeons4sale.com).
Also, please remember, a pedigree is only as good as the paper it is written on, unless you know the breeder personally or he/she is recommended by someone you trust.
Price does not equal quality. If you want quality, you have to build it. If you have bought it, you have to maintain it.
I bought a bunch of scrub homers from a guy who raises them for food. I have been working with these birds for awhile and have got my training releases up to 10 miles from home. Most of them usually beat me home now (OK, I do dawdle a little bit on the way home) and they are used in the breeding program.
If you came to me for racing pigeons, I would not sell you any because my birds are homing pigeons (At least the ones that made it home are :) ) not racers. But you will find a lot of guys/gals have an ego and will be unable to admit the difference.
I stress, find someone who raises what you want, talk to them, either buy birds from them, or fro someone they recommend.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for responding to my question. That's true, you cannot trust internet birds as i think. I will visit my local club tonight and see how it goes. I think this is the only way to find the true racers.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Check local internet sites for pigeons clubs and breeders. DO NOT buy any birds sight unseen unless you know you can trust the breeder (See the thread about Mojave Breeding Station and Pigeons4sale.com).
Also, please remember, a pedigree is only as good as the paper it is written on, unless you know the breeder personally or he/she is recommended by someone you trust.
Price does not equal quality. If you want quality, you have to build it. If you have bought it, you have to maintain it.
I bought a bunch of scrub homers from a guy who raises them for food. I have been working with these birds for awhile and have got my training releases up to 10 miles from home. Most of them usually beat me home now (OK, I do dawdle a little bit on the way home) and they are used in the breeding program.
If you came to me for racing pigeons, I would not sell you any because my birds are homing pigeons (At least the ones that made it home are :) ) not racers. But you will find a lot of guys/gals have an ego and will be unable to admit the difference.
I stress, find someone who raises what you want, talk to them, either buy birds from them, or fro someone they recommend.
Can't say it any better than this....;)

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
I could take more words, but not be able to say it any better then this....

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
When you do find the person you want to get birds from stay with them, once you build a friendship they will either give or sell you better birds. My mentor is pigeonracer, we train together, and have become good friends. If he wins or if i win, we both win. : )
Dave

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello everyone, thanks for all the responds. I visited my local club last night, it was shipping night and everyone is busy. But i talked to a few guys and they "hooked me up". It was very interesting to see cages of beautiful birds, true racers unlike my birds. I am going to arrange some time to visit them and get some birds from them. Thanks god, finally.. Hehe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts