Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got about 30 mixed homing pigeons from someone. He never flew them and knows nothing about the breed. All are adult birds except for two small birds who are feathered out but can't fly yet. Don't know how old they are.

I want to build a loft, and raise and keep about 10 birds that I can fly and have return to my home. I assume that these two young birds are young enough to train to home back to my loft? I would like to raise about 7 more and then get rid of the older prisoner birds. Maybe if I can figure out a few pairs of older birds also keep them. Once birds pair up as mates will they accept new mates if separated?

What should I do to train these birds to home yo my loft? When should I start? I am a complete novice and know nothing about this. Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Hello and welcome...more information would help.

1) Where are you located ?

2) You say you wanna build a loft...where are they housed now ?

3) So are you saying that the adults have always been in a closed loft situation ?

4) Have you investigated any Pigeon Clubs near you ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hello and welcome...more information would help.

1) Where are you located ?

2) You say you wanna build a loft...where are they housed now ?

3) So are you saying that the adults have always been in a closed loft situation ?

4) Have you investigated any Pigeon Clubs near you ?
I am located in KY.

I currently have them in a pen that I built. It's 8ft long, 3ft wide, and 5ft tall. I had to build something quick to put them in.

I have two young birds that can't fly yet. But the rest are adult birds that haven't been flown as far as I know.

I haven't checked into any clubs. Only got the birds this Monday.

I have bird dogs and was using feral pigeons in launchers to train my dogs. But got interested in homing pigeons and I thought it would be neat to use them for dog training and would be an interesting hobby. I could fly them and use the birds over and over for dog training.

I don't plan on racing the birds or anything. I would just like a small loft of 10 birds or so that will home back to me. I have pretty decent carpentry skills so I can build a loft. I just don't have a clue about the raising and training of the birds.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hello, welcome to the forum.
Your plan sounds good. Do you know what these homers are mixed with?
Settle the young in for a couple weeks and get them on a feed call.
Most people use a rattle can which is a bean or tin coffee can with nails rocks and whatever will make noise.
Feed them once a day and regulate the amount.
Trap train them so they can enter back in while keeping the prisoners in.
Then you want to loft fly them for some time before you start traveling out.

Yes you can split them up and change mates no problem.

People do/will frown upon you other comment here FWIW.
It is against the Forum Rules of Conduct as well.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Welcome to Pigeon Talk. Please fire away with any more questions you may have.

Just an FYI - this is a pigeon advocacy forum. Most people here don't advocate training dogs with pigeons. We have had many serious debates on the subject.

Please be aware that you may get some flak on this subject and this might take away from you getting the serious answers to your questions about setting up for and keeping birds.

I would never want to tell a poster what they can, and can not say here. Please just be aware of the possibility of some static from others. Thank you AZ for bringing this to ck-2's attention.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I figured that people may frown on my dog training. I even thought why even mention it. But the more I thought about it I thought I should be completely honest. These birds will not be harmed .

With that being said, I find my self becoming very interested in these pigeons. I don't know what breed of pigeons these are. Most of them are solid white. Or white with gray or tan specs on them. I would like to know what I have.

What do you mean when you say trap train them?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Post up some good pics and that should give some of these pros good clues.

Trap training is simply teaching the birds how to enter the loft. Some people just leave the door open and that can work okay depending upon your location. We did it for a short time. The better way is to buy or build a trap.
There are two main types: bob trap, and Belgian drop trap the bobs being favored. This way when you breed youngster you can keep them lock up but still have other birds out flying which can get in. Traps are one way however with bobs you can have them open to let birds in and out.
Check out the loft design section and you will see what I mean!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, I fixed it. It's public now. Was a new account I just setup today on my mobile phone.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Well viewing from my phone the second picture looks like homing pigeons.
I cant make out the others.

You know, I took a better look and I'm not even sure those are all homers.
Looks like some Birmingham rollers too, and maybe something else or perhaps a mix of the two.
That's my guess, good thing there are members with a lot more knowledge of breed standards and such.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I uploaded several more pics that are close-ups. One of them(the one in the third pic top row) has a really short beak. Much different than the others.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Yeah I wondering if that was just the angel. Does it look like this?
Not my image.

This one here throws me off. The black pepper head that is. Makes me want to say it is a high flyer but I couldn't tell you from which county (breed).

Easier to gauge things in person ya know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Yes it looks just like that one in the top pic! It's not the angle of the pic. Also one of them has a bullseye pupil(4th pic top row). I don't think any of the rest do.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
because these are mixes.. you would have to let them out or use them..(ugh..lol..) with in site of the loft I would think... except for the two young ones if they are all homing pigeon..those can be taken away to come home as they probably will settle to your place..but the loft should come first and get all that out of the way and plan you're homing pigeons for that loft and train from it.. you can make a loft big enough for these birds plus for future homers you want..keep the cute ones for loft flying and having fun.. and then use you're homers to take down the road to come back when you get settled with the loft and read up on the training of them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok,like you said these are mixes probably. But will they all home? I don't quite understand if all of these pigeons would be good to take distances away from my home to turn out and return.

I have a friend who lives about 3hrs away. He wants to get into raising pigeons also. I thought it would be neat if he could eventually take some of my birds to his house and turn out and see if they would home back to me. And him also send some of his with me.

I guess what I'm asking is will all of these birds have enough homing instinct to home back to my loft? If not how can I tell the homers from the ones that aren't? Will Rollers home?

Sorry for what probably seems like stupid questions. But like I said earlier I'm a novice at this.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Ok,like you said these are mixes probably. But will they all home? I don't quite understand if all of these pigeons would be good to take distances away from my home to turn out and return.

I have a friend who lives about 3hrs away. He wants to get into raising pigeons also. I thought it would be neat if he could eventually take some of my birds to his house and turn out and see if they would home back to me. And him also send some of his with me.

I guess what I'm asking is will all of these birds have enough homing instinct to home back to my loft? If not how can I tell the homers from the ones that aren't? Will Rollers home?

Sorry for what probably seems like stupid questions. But like I said earlier I'm a novice at this.
No they don't...at least the mixes and the roller types and whatever else you have in there would not home. so that is why I said to keep them just for letting out around you're place. make the loft big enough for furture homing pigeons you do want..and train them from the new loft you are going to build and only use the homers to take away to come back. so the loft is first then read up on the training, then get some young homing pigeons to settle.. just make sure you make the loft big enough for ALL you're birds...homer and nonhomer.. 2ft per birds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So there is no way to tell by looking at them if I have any homers in which I could build my breeding foundation around?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
So there is no way to tell by looking at them if I have any homers in which I could build my breeding foundation around?
by looking at them..there seems to be some other breeds in allot of them..so no I personally would not use these birds to build a good homer pigeon foundation..esp if you want to take them three hours away. I would start with either a few good pairs and fly their young.. or buy some just weaned young homers to settle that are all homing pigeon. These birds are nice to look at and do have worth.. because they are nice birds to look at and fly..so think about just giving these birds a good home and they can fly around you're house.. they are beautiful..but won't be good to breed from for what you want which is homing pigeons.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts