Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my cocks and hens in breeder boxes, the cocks spent 3 hours or so doing the biting or pulling behind the hen neck, all pairs are getting along fine. Being this is my first try at this how long is the average time to start seeing eggs from day one placing them together. Thanks for the help Ashley

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Welcome to the hobby :) The pigeons have to pair up and start mating.

Once they start mating you can expect eggs soon. The cock will drive the hen to the box and start building nest if nesting materials are available

You should give some time for the pairs to settle and mingle. Some cocks can be very bully and hurt the hen if placed together in the box

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I put my cocks and hens in breeder boxes, the cocks spent 3 hours or so doing the biting or pulling behind the hen neck, all pairs are getting along fine. Being this is my first try at this how long is the average time to start seeing eggs from day one placing them together. Thanks for the help Ashley
just because you lock them up together does not always mean a match is made. when you see a pair mating and building a nest, the eggs are usually about another 8 to 10 days off. I hope the cock birds are not bullying your hens any longer, how miserable for them.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Hey :)
Welcome to PT. The 'biting/pulling' is all good...but you will see 'billing' soon..if they take to each other. 'Billing' looks like they french kissing...the female inserts her beak into the males. Usually 'mating' happens within a week to 10 days during/of billing and add another week to that, you should get eggs. Keep in mind the hen has to feel comfortable,safe,secure..or she wont lay. I have a young pair that mates alot..rarely lays. Keep food+clean water available at all times for them. 'Grit' is vital, and calcium supplements might help. Once you see them mating, having some nesting materials around might help. If they [usually the male] starts building a nest, usually a good sign ;) I think Sreesh mentioned a good point : make sure they are taking to each other...and not just bullying. Keep an eye on them, cause 'pulling behind the head' etc. is what some hardcore abusive males do...scaring the female into not laying for months :( (if ever) see that they preen each other...and eventually 'billing'...then mating.
So I guess My answer to your Q would be about 10/14 days after 'mating'. Good luck, keep us posted, peace, YaSin :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are like two pea in a pod. seems to be happy, breeder boxes in the loft with from the begening. put some pine needs in and cock started build a nest can't build worth a crap but try's. they do not freak out when I am in there feeding them. I am going to try keeping them paired with the same mate as long as do well. more of a hobby at this point. but next year I will race in the local club. Been talking with some of the members I have joined the club. I am hooked thanks

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I put my cocks and hens in breeder boxes, the cocks spent 3 hours or so doing the biting or pulling behind the hen neck, all pairs are getting along fine. Being this is my first try at thishow long is the average time to start seeing eggs from day one placing them together. Thanks for the help Ashley
5 to 10 days AFTER they start mating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts