Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for accepting us into the forum. Frankly, your discrimination in new members leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not sure I want to be a member of any forum that would accept the likes of me/us.

Okay, Groucho Marx lines aside, here it is:

We (me Ron, wife Kathy) are recent and unintentional pigeon enthusiasts. We have but one (unintentional) pigeon: Pigeotoe. He (we're pretty sure by now it's a he) was named by our 19 year old son. This is going to be a bit round-about, but it's part of the story. My son has a constellation of neuro-psychiatric diagnoses that never cease to amaze various clinicians, new and old. I'm going to be brief here, but suffice it to say that he is a sweet, empathetic soul that we almost wish was a high-functioning Down's, because the situation would be the same, but people and social networks would understand him better.
Anyway, because of his challenges and the problems they caused with his interactions with less-than-stellar "friends", things had been getting fairly testy for our house and entire neighborhood. The story gets way too long on this, so I'll just segue out to our arrangements for an 8-week Utah desert intervention beginning last May, to be followed by an adult education program far away from his birthplace at Obama Beach, Kailua, Hawaii.

So, about 2 weeks before he was to leave, I was trying to get him to complete a required chore of mowing the lawn. Unfortunately, just as he was to begin, what do you think he found in the grass below a low palm tree? Oh, come on! You can guess, can't you? No! Of course it was not a dead rat, you silly! It was, yes of course, a less-than fledgling, very baby pigeon. Unfortunately, we do not have sheet-metal rat barriers on our palm trees, and the pigeons that have risked nesting in this low palm tree usually do so unsuccessfully, due to rat-raids.
Anyway, this thing was tiny and pretty close to death, having just barely escaped being eaten by rats. And not just death by dehydration, but because ants had recently discovered it. I say recently, because they were zeroing in on its eyes, yet it still had its eyes. (My apologies to sensitive types that don't like vivid "circle-of-life" realities.)

This is already getting much longer than I intended and probably longer than any of you enjoy, and we'll probably be banned from the forum before I can type more. Nonetheless, I have much more to describe in our tale of unintentional pigeon appreciation (dare I say love!). Oh, and another thing: My brother and I used to do our best to shoot the buggers in my Dad's barn in Michigan ~40 years ago. We were really crumby shots, but isn't it funny how life goes? But I digress.
Though I intended to complete this, it is late, bed beckons, work tomorrow looms. Perhaps it is best to do this in segments. The real problem is, we are complete idiots here and could really use some advise and counsel from the collective wisdom of a forum of this type. (I mean, geez-Louise! We seem to enjoy Pigeotoe's smell as much as he enjoys ours! Sick!~!!!)

That is, if your newest, perhaps less-than-desirable members are not (intelligently) banned by then.
Aloha,
Ron and Kathy

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sounds like a tale waiting to be told. So .. did the pigeon have some effect on your sons condition ?.

Advice ?.. I will leave to more knowledgeable members than I.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Hey Ron - keep talkin'. We have to get the rest of the story now :)

Oh, and welcome to Pigeon Talk!

John

·
Registered
992 Posts

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
So, more compulsive pigeon sniffers! :) They are always welcome here!

Pawbla....umm...my understanding is that this happened last May and that Pigeotoe was rescued from the ants before they could do too much harm (ants and maggots must be removed quickly as the longer they are on a bird the greater the chance of them killing it).

So...next segment? Can't wait!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Beside keeping him warm and dry, you will need to feed him.
Best is to use baby bird hand feeding formula, from the pet shop.
You need to mix it with warm water and make poridge like mix. It needs to be warm but not too hot.
Watch this video and you will get the idea. This is most natural way to feed baby. Make sure you don't overfeed. Crop should be 2/3 full. Rather leave it bit hungry then to overfill. Crop is the bag bellow the neck. If you post a picture, we will be able to tell you how much should baby eat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_wCjIduGN4

If you not sure, ask, someone will be able to assist you.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Pawbla....umm...my understanding is that this happened last May and that Pigeotoe was rescued from the ants before they could do too much harm (ants and maggots must be removed quickly as the longer they are on a bird the greater the chance of them killing it).
OH skipped the "May" part. What is he asking advice on, then? xD

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
OH skipped the "May" part. What is he asking advice on, then? xD
That is the next instalment! :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like a tale waiting to be told. So .. did the pigeon have some effect on your sons condition ?.

Advice ?.. I will leave to more knowledgeable members than I.
Okay, then. I'm responding to this one, 'cuz it's first in line, but thanks to all others for the kind and welcoming posts.

So, where was I? Oh yes, mowing lawn, ants, eyeballs, etc. Soooo, one of my son's traits is procrastination in completion of jobs, and I'm sure that's unusual in teenagers. Another is that he is a real animal person. In regard to bird rescues, he has tried, one time almost successfully, to save fledglings, once or more from the same tree. Once, he succeeded to keep one alive for a week before Mr. Peeps decided to jump out of Kathy's hand onto a tile floor and broke it's neck (for which she has never been forgiven, which may play into this story in some way).
So, back to the lawn. Due to my impatience with him and my virtual certainty that any rescue attempt would be futile, my first inclination was to tell my kid to make the thing mulch. (Circle of life again.) But I relented and let him take it into his room insisting that he finish the lawn before paying any further attention to this pre-dead hunk of protoplasm. After eliminating the remaining ants, he did just that.
That evening and ensuing days, I was vaguely aware that he was trying to nourish and warm the little bugger, but I just figured it'd die before he went off to Utah. Even Kathy more or less ignored him, so he mushed up some of our toy-poodle's dog food with water tried to feed it with a syringe.
As I'm sure you all know but we didn't, baby pigeons don't open their mouth to be fed like robins and other more accommodating species. After a while, he figured out that it was instead trying to get its beak inside his. I forgot to mention, but my son doesn't have a beak, a least in the classic pigeon-style. Nonetheless, this is a kid that grew up without regard to placing frogs and other vermin in his mouth for the amusement of himself and others. So it shouldn't have surprised Kathy and I to find that he had begun mushing the food up in his mouth and letting the bird stick its beak in to get a share. Anyway, to make a long story short, the damn thing thrived. Right up to the point that Bryce (my son) had to go away. So, I guess here's where the guilt over the broken neck of Mr. Peeps comes into play.
Once again, work beckons, but I shall return.

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Well, Ron, NOW that you have our ATTENTION.... :p We are waiting with bated breath to see what advice you need. You DO have a way of writing! SO far, we have no intention of banning you...at least until you get to the point of your story! ROFL :D

Since your son is no longer caring for Pigeontoe, I'm assuming you need some feeding or behavior advice??

Your son sounds like a natural "whisperer" and bless his heart in figuring out how to feed the baby. Of course, we don't advise feeding from our mouths due to bacteria we carry. Obviously, all went well tho.

We look foward to hearing more! BTW, if you are thinking of a possible release, I doubt anyone would advise that due to his being raised from such a young age and is "bonded" to humans.

Hope he not sick!

Look foward to your next post!!

Love, Hugs and Scritches to ALL

Shi and Mr. Squeaks/Dom/Gimie/WoeBeGone :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What kind of bird was Mr. Peeps?
Now I want to keep reading, hehe.
We're not sure. Maybe a chickadee. They all look so stupid at that age! (Kathy is concerned that the forum will be mad a her for letting it break its neck and die.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, Ron, NOW that you have our ATTENTION.... :p We are waiting with bated breath to see what advice you need. You DO have a way of writing! SO far, we have no intention of banning you...at least until you get to the point of your story! ROFL :D

Since your son is no longer caring for Pigeontoe, I'm assuming you need some feeding or behavior advice??

Your son sounds like a natural "whisperer" and bless his heart in figuring out how to feed the baby. Of course, we don't advise feeding from our mouths due to bacteria we carry. Obviously, all went well tho.

We look foward to hearing more! BTW, if you are thinking of a possible release, I doubt anyone would advise that due to his being raised from such a young age and is "bonded" to humans.

Hope he not sick!

Look foward to your next post!!

Love, Hugs and Scritches to ALL

Shi and Mr. Squeaks/Dom/Gimie/WoeBeGone :)
Thanks for the vote of confidence. At first, I kind of took exception to the comment of bacteria from Bryce's mouth. About a second and a half later, my doctor brain kicked in, remembering orthopedic nightmares caused by "human bite" injuries ( actually, knuckle lacerations caused by punching someone in the mouth). Nasty stuff! Humans truly have dirty mouths!

·
Registered
11,336 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, so if anyone is still interested, I shall resume. (Actually, I tried to post weeks ago, but the whole thing got deleted as I was editing it & I got discouraged.) Sooo, Kathy flew to Las Vegas with Bryce to drop him off for his eight week saga in the Utah desert; to be followed by his young adult program in Redlands, CA. He did not know that he would be leaving home for more than a few weeks, and our emotions were high. Pigeotoe had just about tripled his weight in the 12 days since he’d been coveted by ants for his food value. We promised Bryce that we would take care of him. With both Kathy and he gone, I was left alone with the responsibility for a few days, and I was damn sure not going to let the annoying little peeper die on my watch! So I did the multiple feedings, even sometimes at night and taking the thing to work in a bowl made into a nest with a towel, feeding it between patients. In our weekly letter exchanges to Bryce, he continued to remind us to watch him. Despite my prior skeptical outlook, the ugly little caricature of Jimmy Durante actually thrived! As all forum members no doubt know well, the growth rate during this phase was astounding. Eventually, we started to put some seed around its “nest”, but it kept its peeping up incessantly until one day, is simply refused the syringe feeding. Around the same time, it started to exercise its developing wings more and more, despite our admonishments that it looked silly and poseur. When feathers increasingly developed and it seemed that thoughts of flight might be eminent, we put a loose plastic band on each leg (the color bands that came on our electric toothbrush). As it got more bird-like and less Jimmy Durante-like we all started to bond a bit more. Still, we figured the time would come when the ungrateful lout would want to fly the coop. Though feelings were mixed on that score even then, I couldn’t help but think that, if it did, this should be regarded as a successful rescue.
(Pics attached are stills of a 31Mb, 72 second vid. If it’s possible to post the whole thing, someone let me know.)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
im not a big reader, but from skimming over, sounds like you have been blessed with two very sweet gifts!:) pics would be great, we love pics.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.