Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i thought i would share with you all a experiment i did with a injured seagull.
he was given as a one time injection of a drug called convenia it's suppose to last 10 days.
it's very expensive and once reconstituted it only stays good for 30 days, i know this won't be useful to most of you, but it may help those who rehab and work with a vet, thankfully my vet gave it to him at no charge because he already had a bottle open.
i think it may be really good for adult birds and mammals because handling can be kept to a minimum.
this is the first time i have tried it and i think it worked pretty good!

this is the young herring gull i got with the infected foot probably had fishing line around it and some one cut it off for him and let him go, needles to say he was really sick and emaciated when i got him.

you can see by the pics on how well it did heal, it's hard to say if another antibiotic would have worked better or not i really don't know.
the only thing i did for him was swim him every other day for a 1/2 hour and rinse his foot with diluted chlorhexidine after his swim, for 11 days till he went into the outdoor pen. i also dewormed him with drontal plus, on day 1 and day 14.
he did heal up well, steadily gained weight and was released on day 28.
would love to know what everyone thinks
jodi

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
yes, we use it here at the wellness center, our director really likes it. not sure on what cases she chooses for it, but it is great for the reasons you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Broad spectrum antibiotic, used mainly for skin diseases in dogs and cats (and seaguls as I can see) :D
It is not the best choice for infectious diseases but handy for it's 14 days acting period.
I would like something like that for Salmonella and raspiratory infections as their treatment is really long.
Thank you for posting this info. :)

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just got a green wing teal duck from a local vet this morning, she has a puncture wound on her chest, i asked them to give her an injection of convenia before they brought her over.
i doubt it's a cat attack, more likely hawk, she's very lethargic, i'm treating her for shock with heat and SQ fluids, but it doesn't look good.
hopefully she'll come around and we can see how she does

1 - 6 of 6 Posts