Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a pair of racers and wondering if there is a diet change I can do for their runny poops

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Do you give apple cider vinegar in their drinking water 2 or 3 times a week? 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water. You can also give probiotics and hopefully that will help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you give apple cider vinegar in their drinking water 2 or 3 times a week? 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water. You can also give probiotics and hopefully that will help.
Do you give apple cider
Will try it, thanks. I only got them yesterday, so I was given them with this problem. Fingers crossed

·
Registered
I have to racing pigeons, one is brownie and the other is chase, we are working on getting tamed.
11 Posts
yea my pigeon have the same thing except there is clear liquid around their poops more than usual... Can anyone help? There is fecal matter in it but it's surrounded by alot of clear liquid.

·
Registered
I have to racing pigeons, one is brownie and the other is chase, we are working on getting tamed.
11 Posts
Check for canker.
i also have another question... one of my pigeon when he rests sitting down, he open and closes his mouth and only when he rests his tail bobs up and down... but when standing u can see the bob ever so slightly. he is active alert and aggressive sometimes and his droppings are also normal so idk there is something wrong.

·
Registered
My aviary/loft is called "THE DOVES".
44 Posts
Maybe they just need time adjusting to the new environment.
with the right treatment, food and environment, only time will tell. If it persists after the adjustment period of a couple months, consult a vet!

·
Registered
11 Posts
with the right treatment, food and environment, only time will tell. If it persists after the adjustment period of a couple months, consult a vet!
sure will, and do you have any advice on how to tame them? and do you know why pigeons try to nap all day? one of them fluffs up when doing so. he also scrapes his feet only in the cage and then just pecks at random things... never seen him do it before. and keep in mind that they are in my basement which gets cold, but i have a heat lamp and some heat so i think they are fine but maybe the cold is doing something to them? i live in NYC and there's been a lot of winter storms here so it is really cold. i try to keep my basement as warm as possible. :(

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Hi all,

here is a good resource about droppings interpretation (there are even some pics, you could compare them with your birds' droppings):

Factors like stress, relocation (I read, Roser475, that you recently bought your pigeons), etc could cause an intestinal flora disorder.
In addition to ACV water, I would try to give them a good probiotics supplement.
I use a French product suggested by my vet. It is called Oceproven Virbac or Vitaregul Francodex (they both have the same composition but the second one is more advantageous and practical because it is for bigger amounts of water), surely you can't find it there but you could try to look for something similar in your country. It contains B-glucans and mannan oligosaccharides, here you can see its composition:

It's a monthly treatment. If you could find a similar supplement you could try to give it for 10 consecutive days and see if you see any improvement. We had excellent results with it.

·
Registered
My aviary/loft is called "THE DOVES".
44 Posts
sure will, and do you have any advice on how to tame them? and do you know why pigeons try to nap all day? one of them fluffs up when doing so. he also scrapes his feet only in the cage and then just pecks at random things... never seen him do it before. and keep in mind that they are in my basement which gets cold, but i have a heat lamp and some heat so i think they are fine but maybe the cold is doing something to them? i live in NYC and there's been a lot of winter storms here so it is really cold. i try to keep my basement as warm as possible. :(
Pigeons need sun. Pigeons need exercise. they are athletes of the sky. I live just on the other side of the Canada/USA boarder. The climate here is similar, and my pigeons live outside in their dovehouse all year round. It is not heated, but the nesting area is heated by their little bodies. They can live in very cold conditions, the only thing they dont like and that can get them really sick is drafts.
As far as taming them goes, hand feeding works wonders. I withold the food until their hungry, and than hold some seed in my hand and they feed out of my hands. It takes time, and patience. It is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. (I had a companion pigeon that slept in my bed, built her nest on my bed and thought she was my mate. She died last year, and I still cry about it every day.). Pigeon is the Original Mans best friend. I would recommend the book PIGEONS by Andrew D Blechman. I am not sure that I spelled that correctly, however it will tell you the history of Man and Pigeons. Another tip is, New York was the pigeon capital of North America back in the 70s. Learning the history of this may interest you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pigeons need sun. Pigeons need exercise. they are athletes of the sky. I live just on the other side of the Canada/USA boarder. The climate here is similar, and my pigeons live outside in their dovehouse all year round. It is not heated, but the nesting area is heated by their little bodies. They can live in very cold conditions, the only thing they dont like and that can get them really sick is drafts.
As far as taming them goes, hand feeding works wonders. I withold the food until their hungry, and than hold some seed in my hand and they feed out of my hands. It takes time, and patience. It is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. (I had a companion pigeon that slept in my bed, built her nest on my bed and thought she was my mate. She died last year, and I still cry about it every day.). Pigeon is the Original Mans best friend. I would recommend the book PIGEONS by Andrew D Blechman. I am not sure that I spelled that correctly, however it will tell you the history of Man and Pigeons. Another tip is, New York was the pigeon capital of North America back in the 70s. Learning the history of this may interest you.
thanks for the reply and i will check out the book

1 - 12 of 12 Posts