Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I found a white pigeon drowning in my local canal and instantly decided to rescue him (or her) home to take care of. His wing looked a little damaged so I didn't want to leave him fending for himself.

It was fairly late at night so I had to resort to google to guide me in looking after this small pigeon and so I kept him in a dark spacious box with water (a sugar and salt solution for hydration) and wild bird feed seeds. The poor thing seemed in dismay and was not afraid of me picking him up to bring him home.

The next morning, I was over the moon to realise the bird now looked more alert and content, I think he ate some of the feed but not sure about whether he drank. Now here comes the annoying part, I didn't do my research ahead of time on what type of pigeon the little guy was and me thinking he was better off without me in the wild, released him, as I was just delighted he could still fly. It was only when the little fella has stuck around close by to my garden all day when I googled into his breed. Now if anybody could confirm what that is for me, that would be great. I can't tell if he's a king pigeon or dove? Or maybe I'm a mile off.

Either way, I became aware he doesn't have great survival skills and I should have kept hold of him with me for a little longer. I'm not sure what to do going forward as the little guy doesn't seem to want to venture too far away from my garden after spending the night here but he won't come back down off his tree/roof spots which he flies between to eat or drink anything. He has been sitting up there all day and it's been very hot.

Any advice on what I should do, what breed he really is and what is the best action plan would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Please catch him. As you said his chances of survival is not good. Put his food underneath a laundry basket or crate. Balance the one part on a short pole with a rope tied to it. Sit a couple of metres away holding the end of the rope. When he goes underneath to eat (be patient) pull the rope and let the basket fall down and cover him.

If you can't find the owner, plse keep him.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
He may be a wedding or funeral releasebird. Because he is white he is in great danger of predation. Please catch him as Marina suggests.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please catch him. As you said his chances of survival is not good. Put his food underneath a laundry basket or crate. Balance the one part on a short pole with a rope tied to it. Sit a couple of metres away holding the end of the rope. When he goes underneath to eat (be patient) pull the rope and let the basket fall down and cover him.

If you can't find the owner, plse keep him.
Hi! Thank you so much for your response. Me and my family have been watching him all day waiting for him to come down for food so we can catch him. We will likely keep him if we can get him back into our care! Just not sure if he will come down at all to eat/drink which is worrying. We'll try our best!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He may be a wedding or funeral releasebird. Because he is white he is in great danger of predation. Please catch him as Marina suggests.
The only thing that concerns me is that I've heard we have a wild flock local to us living in an abandoned building. So I'm not sure whether it would be wise to take him back there if we catch him but also don't want to risk being wrong!

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Sounds to me like he is used to humans. He would have flown back to his flock if that was where he belongs. He will come down for feeding, just be patient.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds to me like he is used to humans. He would have flown back to his flock if that was where he belongs. He will come down for feeding, just be patient.
Okay great, we'll keep looking out for him and waiting for the opportunity. Do you know how long is generally normal for them to go without eating/drinking? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
They usually eat in the mornings and afternoons. Have you seen him again? He might fly away during the day, but come back in the afternoon for feeding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Saw him a little this morning in his normal spot but has disappeared since then. I went on a little walk around my estate and found him nearby but he hasn't been back close to my garden and is always out of reach :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts