Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Im facing many problems with pigeons so please help me. There's no vet.

A new hatched baby has swollen neck from back side. His nape is fills with some watery fluid which is seen clear through skin. Can this life be helped? Or he will die?

Pic don't show it but i try

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Can you post a better picture of the swollen neck and backside?

That is a new hatchling with egg shell still attached to its bottom, it needs to be gently removed, perhaps use a lubricant so it doesn't hurt..

The baby needs its parents for pigeon milk, or you will need some kaytee handraising baby bird formula.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Pigeon Gene, Jass SamOplay advices not to intervene in process of hatching. So i didn't. Yes it is blood but i didn't jerk or push the baby out. What is flag? Sorry,im just a teen girl.

Skyeking, i take many pictures but lump isn't showing. I will try again. The babt isn't moving or trying to come out of shell. His whole neck is swollen from front side too. Please advice how to lubricate with what? This small baby need your help

Thank you both for replyies

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Mani,Its not the same thing I advised you for. I advised not to intervene when squab was hatching because you could have damaged the outer membrane and the squab might have died of bleeding. Now the squab's out and he is stuck he MAY be helped to come out of it.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
It may be salmonella or its a case of exhaustion. The egg may be from deficit mother and squab being born weak couldn't get out of the shell normally. Its exhaustive for a squab to crack out of the shell but its crucial for him also as he develops his lungs and muscles in the process. It might have been exhaustive for this squab so his neck muscles got swollen.

Is he able to take feed?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Skyeking,the baby is unable to pick his head. He wont be able to take feed. Should i pick him out of nest.

Can this be canker?

Jass SamOplay,the other baby is okay. Both the two eggs started to crack at same day. His sibling is hatched two days ago. He hatched on the third day today.

Do i give him any medication?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The baby finally freed from the shell. But he pooped blood in the shell and also pooped blood twice after coming out of shell.

Please help should i place him in nest. If he is sick he can also make his sibling sick .

Should i give up on tiny baby? I don't want to.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Did you let the parents bathe while sitting on the eggs? Without moisture they can be unable to hatch properly.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
As Skyeking says pigeon milk is important for him. But as you say he can't pick the neck up he may die in the nest. And if he's sick he may infect the nest also. I would separate and keep the baby warm and would try to handfeed him.

Mani,What medication could you give such infant and for what, when we don't know what's happenin? I'm sorry,if I were you I would let go of him.

·
Registered
278 Posts
best to keep him warm and feed him with baby bird forumla and hope for the best. If it was just exhaustion it will give him a chance to recover.

If it is an illness I doubt he will survive and there isn't much you cna do with such a small baby :(

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He is doing better now. Im very happy. I take him to nest for feeding when i see his crop empty. I remove his sibling from the nest. And go back after an hour and find he is getting feed. Then i remove it from nest and keep warm. He was twisting his neck also but now he twists his neck very less. is that pmv?

Im thankful to PT and all who helped.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Is he keeping his head up now?

The neck twisting is prob just him getting his muscles working - don't forget he had a hard time coming out, had a weak and swollen neck and couldn't lift his head.

His neck is going to be shaky and unsteady for a while.

Good job getting him to feed from the parents. Pigeon milk is really the best thing for him

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He is resting with head down but when feel hunger he pick his head up. Then i put it in nest. Parents don't feed him when I'm there but in my absence. So i remove it after he get fed so that he don't die and replace his sibling in the nest

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Glad he is getting fed. In the future, remember to let the parents bathe while on the eggs. Humidity is important for the babies to be able to hatch. Hope he catches up so that you can leave him in the nest with the others. How often do you put him in to feed? Is his crop full?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The smaller squab is the one that had swollen neck. Im thankful to all and PT and happy to tell that the newly hatched is ok now. This swelling is gone overnight and he pick his head up mostly. I think it is time to put him back in nest. What do you guys think?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.