Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I found a pigeon at work (Lakehurst NJ) who was too weak to fly and almost unresponsive. It looks like it has an eye infection as well.

I contacted the secretary of the club on its band and they do not have a record of the owner of that bird. I am currently waiting on a response back but his response sounded like it would be difficult to find the owner.

I moved the bird inside my office and supplied it with water until I could get it home. At home I used some of the electrolytes for my chickens in its water, and fed it some scratch I use for my chickens. It responded well to the scratch and is eating and appears to be active. I cannot tell if it is drinking, but I dipped its beak into the water and dropped some scratch in the water dish to encourage it to drink.

What can I do in the meantime about its eye? It looks like it is glued shut. I gently dabbed it with some warm water for now. I would not be opposed to buying antibiotics that I can also use on my chickens if need be until I can get in contact with the owner.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Antibiotics can't hurt . But it sounds like you're doing all you can for it . Make sure the water is about an 1-1/2*" deep . Pigeons suck the water up to drink it . Well best of luck to you .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Antibiotics can't hurt . But it sounds like you're doing all you can for it . Make sure the water is about an 1-1/2*" deep . Pigeons suck the water up to drink it . Well best of luck to you .
Any reccomendation for which antibiotic?

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Can you post a photo? I think you can forget about the owner, he probably doesn't want a sick bird back. If he is not eating, you can handfeed him defrosted green peas. Just pop 1 pea at a time deep inside his beak.

·
Registered
406 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you post a photo? I think you can forget about the owner, he probably doesn't want a sick bird back. If he is not eating, you can handfeed him defrosted green peas. Just pop 1 pea at a time deep inside his beak.
The bird looks wet because I had just lightly rubbed it's eye with a damp warm paper towel. It did not seem distressed while I did that. It just stood there as I cleaned it

Attachments

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Hi, thanks for helping him.

In the meantime, you can make a cup of chamomile tea (without added sugar) and wash his eye with it (check carefully the temperature, it must be slightly warm), you can use an eye dropper. Chamomile tea is a natural anti-inflammatory.

You could also look for something similar to this product:

https://www.cocooncenter.co.uk/bausch-lomb-ophtaxia-singledose-10-x-5ml/20726.html

It's a sterile solution for eye wash. I used it for myself (when I had conjunctivitis) and even for my birds too. Here you can find it in pharmacy.

In any case, wash his eye twice a day.

·
Registered
Pigeon rescue and rehabilitation
339 Posts
Hi. Poor bird looks to have a periorbital abcess above the eye. Such an abcess will be hard to treat without systemic (oral) antibiotics. I would suggest sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim or cephalexin, as they are both strong full-spectrum antibiotics. You can buy them online at various places. You can also find Fish Aid antibiotics available without a prescription on Allivet.com that will work great with birds and are water soluble. Most, if not all pills of that brand are repackaged high-quality human antibiotics close to expiry. I have used them on pigeons myself without any issue. I found dosing the birds drinking water works best, as it is difficult and potentially dangerous trying to weigh out precise small doses and administering orally.

See, https://www.pigeoncote.com/vet/formulary/formulary.html for information on drugs and dosing.

Try to keep him/her warm and stress-free as much as possible. May also want to ensure there is proper vitamins and minerals that the bird is receiving to aid in fighting the infection (vitamins B12 and D3 especially).

I hope the bird gets better!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts