Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I just bought a pair of pigeons. The guy assured me they were a breeding pair, but its been 2 weeks and still no eggs! They constantly have food and water. Is there a way to tell if the female is pregnant? Am I doing something wrong that would cause them to not lay eggs?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
It may take them some time to adjust, give them time. Then after a month or two, its time to check if you have a male and hen.

Meanwhile, make them as comfortable as possible and don't forget the calcium grit.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Also make sure they have at least two nest bowls to pick from, and some nesting material like long pine needles, straw, etc. Not sticks or twigs if you can help it, as they may hurt the eggs and don't make very stable nests.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
you can watch them also when you give them a proper nest bowl, the male will coo and bow at the hen to drive her to the nest, if you see them mate the eggs will be along..give them quiet and let them settle to their new home. also the male fertilzes the eggs so the hen is not "pregnant" they develope when the hen/cock starts to sit them and give them warmth...mammals get pregnant...good idea to get you a good book on pigeon breeding and keeping to learn all you can....good luck with your pair...I hope they are a pair:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts