Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering why there are no Feral Pigeons in my town? Could it be I am in Northern Michigan and there is to much wooded area and the hawks are more likely to be here? The town about 18 miles North of me, (Oscoda, Mi.) does have a small flock of Ferals. I would like to see more Ferals in my area and don't know why we don't have them?? :confused:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think you do have pigeons, just probably not in the town itself. We live in a rural area too, and have no pigeons in town. But every working farm has a resident flock.

I think the rural pigeons just go where the food is more consistent and better quality. Where farm animals are fed daily, there is usually opportunity and good shelter by pigeon standards. Watch cornfields just after harvest and you will probably see some flocks. Find the food source, and you will find the pigeons :)

·
Registered
754 Posts
feral birds

I think you do have pigeons, just probably not in the town itself. We live in a rural area too, and have no pigeons in town. But every working farm has a resident flock.

I think the rural pigeons just go where the food is more consistent and better quality. Where farm animals are fed daily, there is usually opportunity and good shelter by pigeon standards. Watch cornfields just after harvest and you will probably see some flocks. Find the food source, and you will find the pigeons :)
I never thought to mention that, I live in between two small towns and on has a flock the other has none to be seen. However in between these towns ther are a lot of farms with old silos and almost every one of them has a few pigeons including the one next door, for some reason the silo next door is empty right now but I know it will have birds again in the spring. My neighbor welcomes them and will even feed them when he can so I know that is not the reason they are not there. I have seen some at a farm about 2 miles from me and they will set on the power lines so this could be where my neighbors flock went for the winter, I am sure there is a lot more feed for them at this cattle farm, there is always food in the troughs. I would feed the flock in town but it is a small town and I know some do not want them, so as to not draw any more attention to them I just watch and make sure they are doing alright. I have seen them ontop of the hotel in below zero weather and shake my head in amzement how they can truly deal with the cold. >Kevin

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
pattersonk2002: I see them in freezing temperatures too and I always wonder with snow on the ground--My God How Do They Survive--and I want to feed every last one of them but can't for reasons of attracting too many and I need to keep a low profile with my own pigeons but I always wonder: How do they survive....Amazing...just Amazing.c.hert

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I don't know how they even survive in the city, in the freezing cold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts