Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its late night and the mother nor father has returned . I got worried about the chicks cause they look so young so I took them inside.

They can open their eyes and I uploaded a pic also.
Is it normal for the parent doves to leave their small chicks this age like that ?

What should I do :( ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Yes, when pigeons are around 10 days of age the parent birds will leave the nest but are usually close by somewhere. How long have the parent birds been gone?

Please return babies, if it is safe to do so. as long as there is nothing that can harm them, and they are not sick and no predator can get them, they need to go back in nest and do not move or change the nest in any way.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, when pigeons are around 10 days of age the parent birds will leave the nest but are usually close by somewhere. How long have the parent birds been gone?

Please return babies, if it is safe to do so. as long as there is nothing that can harm them, and they are not sick and no predator can get them, they need to go back in nest and do not move or change the nest in any way.

Thank you for the reply =). I got scared that the parents weren't coming back and that they were too young.Parent birds have been gone for a couple of hours. It is really late in the night though for them to not return.Is that normal for doves ? Don't they sleep on their babies at night ? I saw the mother early in the morning today.I put the babies back for now and they have no sickness or predators to hurt them. Will check in the morning for parents. They have been living in my balcony for a long time so I know them pretty well :p. They have raised a lot of babies so far. I see her in the night on her chicks so its strange that she hasn't returned yet so I got worried.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
If they have raised other babies, then you must have noticed that as the babies grow, the parents will stop sitting on them at night. They will come back to feed them. They could have started another nest on the balcony, but they must have chosen to make a nest somewhere else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts