Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 year old diamond dove. She has been having yellow discharge from one (and sometimes both) of her eyes for over a month now. I took her to an avian vet 3 times and tried about 3 or 4 different antibiotics, but none of them stopped the discharge. The vet finally said he didnt think it was bacterial and that we should just clean her eye out daily with a clean q-tip and saline eye solution. I have been doing that now for a few weeks, but there is no change in the eye. The hen is healthy in all respects other then the discharge: normal weight, activity, eating, droppings, etc.

The discharge is usually small, about 1/10th the size of her eye. It only accumulates over night and is present in the morning in the corner of her eye. It can be removed easily with a Qtip. There appears to be no accumulation during the day. This suggests perhaps it has something to do with her eye being closed all night. If the discharge is not removed, she usually can scratch it out with her foot, or if she cant, then her eye gets dry.

We have a second hen who has no problems with her eyes. They are caged together and spend all their time together suggesting this isnt contagious.

If you have any experiences with this sort of eye issue in a pigeon or dove, please let me know. I would like to do something to stop the discharge and I am worried that if left uncleaned for a few days, she may develop a serious eye problem.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Has your vet taken a culture from the discharge?
It could be some bacteria resistant to the antibiotics you have given her.
I have tried numerous times colloidal silver drops from the health food store, one drop twice a day. It has cleared all eye infections my birds had and mine too.

Reti

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Coloidal Silver is excelent idea for eye problems. I would add 1~2 drops down the throat too. Or you can ask your Vet for Terra-cortril oinment and use it to smear cere and eyelids. I would try Coloidal Silver first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info on colloidal silver. Do I put a drop directly in the hen's eye? It won't injure her?

The vet and I tried 4 different antibiotics and none of them worked. In addition, there was no inflammation of the eye which led the vet to think it was not an infection.

We did not do a culture.

Where do I buy colloidal silver? Is it effective because of the anti-bacterial and viral properties of silver?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Health shop is where you buy it. It is drop in the each eye. Won't dammage eyes and you can't overdose even if you put two drops.:)

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
By the way, any chance that you are keeping her on the draught? Have you tried covering cage from three sides and leaving only front open?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not sure what you mean by 'on the draught' and I googled it too to see if i could figure it out :). But I couldnt.

Actually, she lives in a large room with two trees in it (as well as her open cage). She and the other hen sleep on a nest together or on a tree branch.

We maintain the temperature in their with a heater in the winter, and also open windows when we can to allow unfiltered sunlight and fresh air.

Any other suggestions are welcome!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
By keeping her on the draught (sorry if it is not correct term:)) I mean is her cage positioned between window and door, or two windows or two doors. In the area where you have constantly airflow. Cage should not be in an area which is susceptible to draughts as birds can easily catch a cold. Eye discharge is one of the symptoms when bird is with cold.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I am not sure what you mean by 'on the draught' and I googled it too to see if i could figure it out :). But I couldnt.

Actually, she lives in a large room with two trees in it (as well as her open cage). She and the other hen sleep on a nest together or on a tree branch.

We maintain the temperature in their with a heater in the winter, and also open windows when we can to allow unfiltered sunlight and fresh air.

Any other suggestions are welcome!
a drafty area........

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Yeah, good exercise in english for me :D
draught draft British English usually uses draft for all senses as the verb;[114] for a preliminary version of a document; for an order of payment (bank draft), and for military conscription (although this last meaning is not as common as in American English). It uses draught for drink from a cask (draught beer); for animals used for pulling heavy loads (draught horse); for a current of air; for a ship's minimum depth of water to float; and for the game draughts, known as checkers in America. It uses either draught or draft for a plan or sketch (but almost always draughtsman in this sense; a draftsman drafts legal documents). American English uses draft in all these cases, including draftsman (male or female) (although in regard to drinks, draught is sometimes found). Canada uses both systems; in Australia, draft is used for technical drawings, is accepted for the "current of air" meaning, and is preferred by professionals in the nautical sense.[115] The pronunciation is always the same for all meanings within a dialect (RP /ˈdrɑːft/, General American /ˈdræft/). The spelling draught is older; draft appeared first in the late 16th century.[116]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How many days do you think I should give her the colloidal silver? I have been doing it for three days now and I have seen no change in the discharge.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
How many days do you think I should give her the colloidal silver? I have been doing it for three days now and I have seen no change in the discharge.

You can continue up to a week. You should see some change by now.
Can you post a pic of the eye?

Reti

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Attached are two pictures. One of her eye. You can see the filmy discharge across her eye. In the other picture, you can see the discharge after I have removed if from here eye using sterile eye wash and a Qtip. It is on the upper end of my fingertip and is yellow.

I watched her sleep a little while last night. It looks like she may not be closing her eye lid all the way when she sleeps. I know these birds sometimes sleep with their eyes partially open though. I have been trying to watch her a lot sleep and I see this half closed eye consistently.

She still seems healthy in all other respects.

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
I guess some cultures would be your best bet here.
It could be something viral.

Reti

1 - 17 of 17 Posts