Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, looking for some advice please. 7 weeks ago 1 of my garden gang ferals, came down to eat but them remained in garden, was walking round and sitting down, aftr 24 hrs I caught her no problem, droppings were watery green. Since then a poop sample revealed moderate cocci, ecoli and negative adeno virus. been treated for these. Improved poops aftr meds.So 7 weeks on, still no flying and limping. Went to non avian vet who reckons no broken wings or swelling legs. Would be most grateful for anyones thoughts? Sad to see her like this. :(

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Your taking care of that pigeon well and thank you for that for you are a caring person. This is going to sound strange but check her tongue out to make sure it is a whole tongue. I have had pigeons with half of tongues or even most of the tongue gone and they had no interest in flying at all---they could and eventually did but their interest was gone for awhile. I have had people drop pigeons off at my house saying these racing pigeons will not fly and do you want them? These pigeons were bruised on the top part of their wings where there is a lot of pain activity going on because they hit the wires I guess and they did not fly for five months then they started to jump up in the air somewhat and now they are fine and flying and I just bet these two would have been good racers...But it took a long time for them to maturate into "flying" for they had no interest in this and was perfectly healthy. Just a note here once those top muscles get hurt even slightly it affects their whole bodies they they do not want to fly because of the pain..These take a long time to get right so be patient...Its like you having broken ribs or something if this is the case....Hope this helps you with your inquiry.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good to read, thankyou, you have given me some hope here :) Her tongue is ok. I'm feeling quite happy now . Will just continue with good food and vits and keeping her as stress free as I can. Thankyou.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Can you check way down the throat and see if there is anything down there?
A pigeon being ill won't often want to fly. So maybe still having some issues. How is her appetite? Does she seem to drink a lot?
Also a probiotic would be good. Just a bit of yogurt with the live bacteria and no sugar. You can just put some in her beak and let her swallow it.
What are you feeding her?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Hi everyone, looking for some advice please. 7 weeks ago 1 of my garden gang ferals, came down to eat but them remained in garden, was walking round and sitting down, aftr 24 hrs I caught her no problem, droppings were watery green. Since then a poop sample revealed moderate cocci, ecoli and negative adeno virus. been treated for these. Improved poops aftr meds.So 7 weeks on, still no flying and limping. Went to non avian vet who reckons no broken wings or swelling legs. Would be most grateful for anyones thoughts? Sad to see her like this. :(
Thank you for helping the bird.

Also, can you check the breast/keel bone to see if it is sharp? if it is sharp or protruding the bird needs to gain weight. That can keep birds from flying. Are you hand feeding the bird?

The limping may be due to a calcium/D3 deficiency or nutritional deficiency in general. What are you feeding the bird?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thankyou everyone for your thoughts on this. Her throat is clear, she had probiotics for a week after the antibiotics. I had thought her breastbone was a bit sharp but the vet (non avian) said it was ok. I have a pigeon mix that I offer her, as I feed the pigeons in the garden, but her favs are sunflower hearts, her appetite isn't huge.. Interesting to think of possible deficiencies, hadn't thought of that and will now get a supplement. I think I was expecting that she had her meds and would be fine and fly off!! However (!) Here we are 7 weeks on!! HUge thankyou for replies :) Didn't get any support from the vet and was getting a bit lost.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
She sounds lovely Pearl and is obviously being very well cared for, well done you. I have a lovely avian vet (Southend Essex) he's so caring towards my pigeons, even the wild woodie I took to him - makes everything so much easier.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thankyou everyone for your thoughts on this. Her throat is clear, she had probiotics for a week after the antibiotics. I had thought her breastbone was a bit sharp but the vet (non avian) said it was ok. I have a pigeon mix that I offer her, as I feed the pigeons in the garden, but her favs are sunflower hearts, her appetite isn't huge.. Interesting to think of possible deficiencies, hadn't thought of that and will now get a supplement. I think I was expecting that she had her meds and would be fine and fly off!! However (!) Here we are 7 weeks on!! HUge thankyou for replies :) Didn't get any support from the vet and was getting a bit lost.
If she is not eating much and the keel bone is even slightly protruding, that will keep her from flying. You can supplement feed her peas, it is easy to do: http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/peasandcorn.htm
IF this is a hen, she really will benefit from calcium/D3 as she may be depleted & therefore the reason for limp. Keep giving the probiotics, you are doing a good job with her!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If you need to feed peas to a pigeon, hold the bird on your lap and against your body. This gives you more control. Reach from behind his head with one hand and grasp his beak on either side. Now use your free hand to open the beak, and put a pea in, then push it to the back of his throat and over his tongue. Let him close his beak and swallow. Then do another. It gets easier with practice, and the bird also gets more used to it, and won't fight as much. If you can't handle the bird, then use the sleeve cut off a t-shirt, slip it over his head and onto his body, with his head sticking out. This will stop him from being able to fight you so much. Just don't make it tight around his crop area. It helps if you have him facing your right side if you are right handed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts