Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im just wondering if anyone elses doves or pigeons do this
my female is sitting in the nest and the male like to sit on the lip of the nest with his back end and tail going into the nest and over the female. kind of like a sheild. they sleep like this every night.
and every morning i check on them and the female always has plops of poo on her from him. is this normal for him to do this? or is he just being mean.
i also thought that they didn't poo in the nest yet im cleaning it out every other day because they do it so much.

i think they might just be mentally special doves.:D

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I wouldn't say he's mean, just thoughtless. What I've noticed with my pigeons is that some keep their nests tidy while others are complete slobs and poop all over the nest, though I haven't had a cock-bird that perched on the nest and pooped on his mate before. My doves are messier in terms of pooping in nests. All of them seem to do it. Do you have many other perches for them? Any higher than the nest? Because usually the cock likes to roost near the nest at night. Perhaps if you can devise a perch that's close to the nest but a little higher (and not right over it) that will solve the problem.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they are doves. i actually set it up so the nest was the highest point to prevent them from pooping in it but as i came to find it didn't work. i am planning on getting a bigger cage soon so i guess ill do some rearranging when i do.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Mine do sit at the edge like yours a lot. Well, the doves do. Sometimes faced towards the hen and sometimes away, but the edge is just far enough away to where the hen stays clean.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
they are doves. i actually set it up so the nest was the highest point to prevent them from pooping in it but as i came to find it didn't work. i am planning on getting a bigger cage soon so i guess ill do some rearranging when i do.
why are you up at 1 in the morning? aren't you a kid.:confused::)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
why are you up at 1 in the morning? aren't you a kid.:confused::)
im 18 so technically no im not a kid
i can be up when i want to i don't have a "bed time"
ok mom?!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i didn't have to work yesterday or today so i stayed out late.:D

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine do sit at the edge like yours a lot. Well, the doves do. Sometimes faced towards the hen and sometimes away, but the edge is just far enough away to where the hen stays clean.
ya i think i might just need a bigger nest. when i get their new cage ill install a bigger one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts