Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello PT,

OK so I have a problem, my only pair of Norwich croppers disappeared on me for a few days, and then just to day I found them! But where I found them is the trouble. The made a nest under the stairs my back porch and are now sitting on two beautiful eggs! I really want to leave them there and not disturb the nest so that is what I think I will do.

But I was wondering, would it them if I mesh up so that nothing can get at them?

I know that many of you members will probably give me tones of shi*:mad::rolleyes: for leaving them there, but this is my decision and all I am asking for is FRIENDLY advice and tips on what to do.

Kevin

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they are usually kept in a fancy coop. but my birds got out, by mistake, and they had not come back.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Are there any predators like cats, hawks, skunks. snakes, rats, and with this question since you are a young person I would ask your parents for advice at this level. If it were me I would find a way to get the parents back to your loft if there is a chance to get them back there and you might have to mesh up the area to do this and the best time would be in dim light because they can't see that well and catch the adults---then take those eggs and put them in the loft as well in the croppers usual area in the loft with some nesting bowl and nesting material and maybe ---just maybe they will sit on them--I doubt this but one never knows and they always can lay new eggs in a safe spot in your fancy bird loft. The adults will not survive in the wild so it is better to mesh them up somehow and get them back to your loft and don't forget the space in the steps and be wise in doing this--get your parents help and go slowly so they won't escape again and use good judgement here.....c.hert

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you C.hert,

do you think that i could maybe mesh i tup but leave the parents in there, and make kind of a shelter so that teh could keep sitting and would be safe? this would be my first chicks ever so i am pretty excited.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I know you are very excited but right now it is a matter of saving the parents and getting them back to the loft because if you try to feed them in that area the food will attract other birds and then predators --the adults need to be got back to the loft---for they will not no how to feed themselves out in the wild---that prime important right now--the eggs we will worry about later after the birds are in the loft....c.hert

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh ok.... i will try to get them back in the loft. i am so sad that they did lay the eggs outside.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Don't worry about those eggs we will do the best we can for those but leave them in the nest as bait for the adults to sit on and then catch them one at a time--its best in the dark but I would sure mesh up the area and block the step opening too. We will figure out about the eggs...c.hert

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Do you have both of them? Are they back in the loft? Do they have a certain area in the loft where they like to stay or do they have a nest box in there? c.hert

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I whave them in a breeder box. I have these breeder coops that hold a pair and there chicks.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Are these breeders boxes closed off to other birds? Now get your eggs and do you happen to have another breeder bird that laid eggs that you don't particulary care about in the last day or two--just in case---? c.hert

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no. I only have another pair that laid today. they are voorburgs, and i really want them
no other birds can get to them. they are on my porch

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Carefully get those eggs so that they don't chill and keep them warm for now and then place them in the breeder box with the adults and we will see what happens--time to be observant here--does everyone have food and water in these boxes...c.hert

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you C.hert,

You are the only one who has responded and I am very grateful.

Well, this may sound stupid and dumb, but when I went to give tem food and water, they freaked right out and flew back down to the nest. The eggs were still warm and they are back on them. I didn’t know that they could be so persistent. He is pecking at me when I get too close, and then flies off. I must go to bed now, but I will try to catch them in the morning.

Thanks a bunch for your care and patients,

Kevin

1 - 20 of 30 Posts