Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rescue Fledgling

So I'm with my friends at this park, and were watching pigeons (they're my only friends who appreciate pijes!) and then this hurt one comes stumbling in front of us! we tried to catch her, but she ran under this huge truckthing and it took us an hour and a half to get her out!
Not soon enough we were striding home proudly with a beautiful fledgling in our arms.
Anyway, She looks very dehydrated and hungry. Nothing in crop, and sunken eyes. Keel bone sticking faaarrr out! No name yet, but It'll come to me soon. :) Shes about as old as November was when I found him, 21-25 days. And exactly the same problem! A big cut on the left wing! (exactly what he was like!! so strange!) She looks a little worse than he did though... What do I do about the cut!?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok.. No one is ganna tell me what to do, so Im going with my instincts!
I warmed her up, and then gave her a trail of seeds leading to her water bowl, she drNk, but still (obviously) looks dehydrated. I examined her further, andnthe results are thet she has two minor looking cuts on her wing, but bad enough so that she cant fly.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Hi. I am sorry nobody replied. This Forum can be very odd like that sometimes and I have never figured it out. People will reply all day long to someone's post where the Pigeon is in stable condition but gloss over threads where the Pigeon is critical (?!)

OK, you have done an awesome job so far. 3 things are of utmost importance now:

1) WARMTH: keep her in a place where the ambient air temperature is at least 75 degrees F (that'd be 24 degrees C...yes...pretty warm). If you canot provide a well-heated room, use an electric pad set on low under a layer of towel, box or carrier half-covered.
Your buddy has ZERO insulation right now...they can get cold easily and die of pneumonia. keep her warm and check the temperature of her feet and body for clamminess.

2) FOOD ~ Your bud is emaciated...a trail of seed and a dish of seed isn't enough. She needs to gain weight FAST. Tell your mom or dad or whoever to get some frozen peas from the store ASAP....as in, immediately. Then you will need to handfeed her at least 4x/day.

BUT..she needs to be nice and warm BEFORE you feed her. Which is why I said do 1) above first.

You may know how, but if not...it's simple: Take some peas, defrost them under hot running water (or I take a bowl of hot, hot tap water and dunk a dozen peas into the bowl and let them sit there a minute). Take a bite of one (OK, maybe you don't love peas...but this is for your Pigeon friend !) and make sure it isn't frozen or very cold in the middle . Let the outsides cool just a bit so they aren't cold, but are just a little bit warm (lukewarm or tepid is what folks call it).

Hold you buddy in one arm, probably gently wrapped in a towel so her head is sticking out, and with the hand of that arm, gently pry her beak open.

With your free hand, take the pea and 'pop' it into the middle of her mouth (not the tip, not the back) ...then close the beak. She should swallow. You can also massage under her beak for a few seconds...this often helps them gulp and swallow.

I for some reason she starts to shake her head once the pea is in the mouth for a few seconds...open the beak and pull out the pea (gently) because she was choking. This RARELY happens....usually the pea is nice and slick and it just glides down the throat. She might wiggle and struggle a bit, which is why you have her wrapped in the towel.

First feeding try to get 7-10 peas into her. Then wait a couple of hours and see if she has pooped any. Then second feeding, try to get 12-15 into her. Again, wait 2 hours and see if she pooped 'em. Third feeding, try for 15-20. Wait 2-3 hours.

By the fourth feeding of the day, you can try to up it to 20-30 pieces of pea.

No need to worry about water because the peas have a lotta water in 'em...so they will both put weight on fast and provide hydration.

3) MEDS ~ do you have any there ? Antibiotic (not talking aspirin or pain relievers, talking antibiotics specifically). Ask your folks. Penicillin, Amoxycillin, Cephalexin, Baytril (also called Cipro or Ciproflax), Ceclor, anything like that. It can be human or pet grade.

If not...are there any pet stores or farm feed stores in Toronto ? Call (or have your parents call) and ask them if they have pet grade general antibiotics.

Or, I believe you can find a place online which sells them.

If online, have them ship it overnight.

You could try calling here, this place is in Ontario....although definitely call to ask because I do not see antibiotics on their website:

http://pigeonplus.ca If they don't carry a general antibiotic, ask them who does.

This other place has Trimeth Sulpha, which is a good antibiotic...but they are in Alberta. But they can likely ship overnight to you if you call:

http://www.northstardoves.com/Northstar_Doves_2011/Pigeons.html

Hope this helps. Good save, keep it up !!!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks! here is a pic of her wound I just realized how bad that is! its like, a hole right through! (ok maybe not that far, but its still big!)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I dont have any of these meds, but I'll try to get a hold of them :) I do have metronidazole and triple sulfa (thanks Scourge :) ) but I'm not sure if they'll help.
I think I might even have some peas, and as for biting them, I'll let my mom do that :rolleyes:
I also can hand-feed her, its really quite easy to open her mouth, she is quite strong, but mostly when I touch her on her wing. (She bites me! Just like November! SHES LEARNING!!!!!)

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Take a picture further back--I'm having a small problem figuring that one out.

It could be because many of us don't log in that often and don't refresh the page very much. These days, the volume of other posts (non-sick & injured) are way above what they used to be. "Once upon a time... " ...the sick & injured volume was more than 50% of the whole--now, not so much.

Pidgey

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Might be an idea to start this little one on the Triple-Sulfa. Do you still have instructions on how to mix and give it?

Karyn

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Can you also post a full body shot of the bird and is this bird from the same flock as your canker bird? What do the droppings look like?

Karyn

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The droppings are good looking, except for the fact that they are solid green, they are a good shade of green, and are not very liquid, I'll post pics soon.

hah lol, btw, that in the corner is my hand bent in a wierd way after recoiling from a wing slap :)

She isnt from the same flock as Cankerpij, or November and Scourge. November and Scourge from my school, and Cankerpij (not her name) is from on top of the curch where my mom works. This little one is from the Wychwood barns, an old streetcar barn(s). this flock isn't very well fed, but they live fine.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Well, at least it doesn't look like a truly bad injury in a bad place. Most of the time, those heal up without incident. You don't generally even splint them. Might as well let time, good food, clean water and safety do their job.

(I didn't mean that you're safe, just the bird--you might suffer many more wingslappings!)

Pidgey

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
haha loll! She does really like to wingslap!
I know its late (at least, here it is!), but I'm medicating her right now, right after I'm done this post. I have the peas, and will start feeding tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Sounds good !!!...the injury might have been a puncture wound from an attempted grab...sorta hawkish-looking. Could also have been some sob with a slingshot or bb gun. Take a look and see if there's any exit hole on the opposite side.

Pssst...trimeth and triple sulpha are basically the same thing ;) Great stuff to have on hand. It seems like the word is out in Feral Pigeon land that you are one of their best allies...so always try to keep some meds on hand. Just a tip...they know good humans when they see one.

I agree with Pidgey...looks like she/he can recover from this one. But with wing injuries, always a question about regaining full flight ability. But we are jumping ahead. Get those meds started and get her fattened up....and again keep her warm and comfy.

Good work (BTW...always eat your veggies !)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm...if she keeps this new habit up, I'm not sure her wing will be getting any better! I've stopped her several times, she begins by grooming, and then moves on to attacking her wound! Any way I can stop this? Also, I just wanted to add that her wing is always droopy O__O
Checking for an exit hole....OMG there is! Poor baby might have been BB'd!
It turned out that I didn't get to medicate her yesterday -_- because my mom kept asking me to do stuff, but this time, I got home from school, and medicated her at 4:23, the same time Scourge was medicated every day (no I didn't do that on purpose, completely subconscious!) :D

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Phil would probably be the expert on splinting a bb wound....I will PM him and hopefully he can provide directions.

BTW...the best of ALL possible things one can do in the event of this sort of injury is get the Pigeon to a vet for an exam and some tests. Just wanna point that out. Everything else is just a home-remedy and it would never substitute for a professional vet treatment. I dunno if your family would be willing to do that or not...but I just wanted to mention it. Again, a situation where a vet visit may mean the difference between your pal being releasable again or never being releasable again. This isn't to freak you out or anything...just had to mention it, if it's a possible alternative there.

OK, now that you have started meds...remember NOT to miss a dosage. Very important that you keep him/her on it, proper dosage, for at least a week. Even if things get really busy..y'know ?

Also wanted to mention...your 2 comments on the other threads, one regarding the falconer ...and the other regarding the idiot who didn't do what he could have done to help....those were very astute comments ~ you are a much wiser soul than your years ! ;)

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Oops...hehe... Phil's on an 'insisted vacation', apparently....

If anyone with good experience splinting wants to chime in, feel free....I found this:

http://www.starlingtalk.com/fractures.htm#wingfracture

If you wanna protect the area yourself, you more just wanna make sure the injury is covered so he/she cannot peck it. I'd go with some gauze and use the sort of wrap/bandage which sticks to itself (not the adhesive bandaging, the stuff which sticks to itself but is removable...I think it's called Tender Tape, sometimes.

Tough on gun wounds because you hope the bb just passed through without permanently shattering anything important (the wound is awfully close to some important joints).

Certainly wrapping it to protect against pecking and giving her food and antibiotics will likely heal her up, make her strong again, prevent infection, and allow the wing to med in some form. But, again, only way to tell for sure if the wing needs to be set properly, is a vet.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I fed her 10 peas in her last feeding. I used my index finger to open the top beak, and the thumb on the same hand for the lower. That's the only way I could open it, she's getting tougher! She's been wingslapping me loads! Also, I know I will regret the dumb name, but I like it. Her name is Tundra (as in, the arctic, ya know?)
Now she is sleeping, but tomorrow I will protect it.
Also, thanks :) I had to look up "astute" :D

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
SHE IS NOT OK!
Bleeding, bleeding, bleeding! Her bone appears broken, and where the break rests, there is another cut. I think it is because the bone sticks out and rubs against her side. Its really bad! I feel so bad. She is also loaded with pigeon mites! LOADED! you just have to move her feathers over and they come crawling out. Seas of them. I need to take her to the vet! My mom doesn't wanna. GUH! Poor little tundra. Her wing twists this way and that. Completely broken. This is so terrible!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
HER BONE STICKS OUT OF HER WING, It's totally broken.How could someone do that to a baby like that?

1 - 20 of 112 Posts