Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pigeon is squinting and not eating much the last 2 days. What could be the causes? They havent even left the loft yet! So the only thing i can think of is that it caught something from the loft where i bought him and his siblings but it was healthy and eating the last 3 weeks that ive had them

Edit: he looks like hes sleeping but hes standing up. Maybe his eyes hurt?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ill remove him right now, any suggestions on how to hand feed? or crop feed.... or whatever its called, ive never done it so step by step directions would really help :(

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
his eyes arent bright and clear either. they seem to have a little bit of goop in them and it looks like he has a third eyelid or extra piece of skin on the top lids or.... something :confused:

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
ill remove him right now, any suggestions on how to hand feed? or crop feed.... or whatever its called, ive never done it so step by step directions would really help :(
Here are some prewritten feeding instruction...

You can hand feed defrosted peas. Run some hot water over them until they are defrosted and slightly warmed. Put the bird on your lap and hold it next to your body. If it helps because you are having a hard time handling the pigeon, you can wrap a towel around it or put it in the sleeve of a tee shirt, with the head out the wrist. This method confines the pigeon without hurting him and makes it easier to handle. Gently open the beak and pop a pea at the back of the mouth and over the throat. It gets easier and faster, with practice, for both you and the bird.
You will need to feed 30-50 per feeding [depending on the size of the pigeon] and every time the crop empties until you know the baby is eating on his own. After a couple of feedings, most squeakers get the hang of it, pick up the peas on their own and naturally transition into a seed diet.
This is a wonderful method for teaching babies to eat because they feel the whole food in their mouth and it’s soft and easy to pick up and hang on to.
The crop is located right below the throat and with food it fills up like a little balloon. The peas make the crop feel lumpy and squishy.

Please provide her with vitamins also. I can see the keel bone sticking out.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
The pigeons have 3 eyelids..one is a membrane. I wonder what i see it's the membrane, but in the pic looks quite thick.
Does the eye has any discharges or the nose?Is she breathing fine?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seems like its breathing okay. Doesnt have any discharge that i see in the nose. I looked for canker in the mouth, didnt see any. The eyes seem like they have goop in them, doesnt look like the eyelid to me

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
You need to treat for ornithosis ,with Doxycycline 30 mg once daily for 10 days,start the treatment immediately...its fatal otherwise.Also treat for cocidiosis with Whatever available in your place,i use Amprolium 2.5 gm in 2 litres of drinking water for 4 days :)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
take the bird to the vet for an exam and fecal testing, in the meantime provide supportive care with the warmth and handfeeding, also you may want to scrape the loft more often to prevent diesease.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
take the bird to the vet for an exam and fecal testing, in the meantime provide supportive care with the warmth and handfeeding, also you may want to scrape the loft more often to prevent diesease.
We do keep it pretty clean, the loft they came from had poo about an inch thick in most places :eek: so im not surprised he is ill. Our loft is built so they dont walk on their poo, it drops about 2 to 3 inches below where they walk. I was trying to avoid the vet if it can be treated with over the counter pigeon meds, but i can definately see the logic.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
It's not necessary that if you keep a clean loft, they will not get sick. There are many other considerations, like stress, the setting of the loft, the size, humidity or too dry etc.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's not necessary that if you keep a clean loft, they will not get sick. There are many other considerations, like stress, the setting of the loft, the size, humidity or too dry etc.
Well, i think they are starting to go through their first molt and they are pretty new to my loft, maybe those 2 things combines are too stressful?

Atm, everyone else looks healthy and happy :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My boyfriend picked up a 6 in 1 medication for our little sickie (and the others will be treated as well). It goes in the water. He also bought sulmet if this one doesnt work, but id rather try this first, partially because it treats so many things at once but also becaise ive heard sulmet can make them kinda listless for a few days (or something like that).

Has anyone used a 6 in 1 med before? This one treats canker, coccidiosis, worms, and some other things that i cant remember.

We are going to feed him semi warm peas tonight as i believe dima reccomended (the frozen veggies i bought also have corn, carrots, and green beans. Will any of those be good for him or only the peas?). Since he isnt drinking water at the moment, should we mix up the medicine/drinking water solution and give it to him orally from a syringe? If so, how much does a pigeon drink daily and can i give it to him in one or 2 daily doses?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
6 in 1 meds, like 4 in ones, really don't work. There isn't enough of any one med in them to cure anything. You are better off giving one med. I wouldn't give him the beans. The peas and corn would be fine. The peas would be easier to digest, so I'd give more of them with a little bit of corn. Giving a bird water from a syringe is dangerous as you can easily aspirate him if the water goes down the wrong tube. I would just try dipping his beak in tepid water, but not over his nostrils. And see if that will encourage him to drink. The peas will contain some moisture and that will help a bit.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Should also have mentioned that he should be eating 50 or 60 peas at one sitting, 2 or 3 times a day. Wait til his crop empties before feeding again, as you don't want to add new food to old food in the crop, as it will go bad in there. Just let it empty, and then feed him again.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Should also have mentioned that he should be eating 50 or 60 peas at one sitting, 2 or 3 times a day. Wait til his crop empties before feeding again, as you don't want to add new food to old food in the crop, as it will go bad in there. Just let it empty, and then feed him again.
Holy crap thats alot of peas at one time, is there an "easy" way to do it like keeping his mouth open some how or something?

Well, if the 6 in 1 doesnt work, we will do the sulfa. Hopefully it will work and we wont have to use it. Is the 6 in 1 ok to use as a preventative?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Defrosted peas or corn it's enough to keep him hydrated, but do what Jay said by dipping the beak in the water. The pigeon is weak and you should give vitamins. Some come in powder and you can sprinkle very little over the peas.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.