Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy y'all

Sick pigeon post!

I'm dealing over phone with my mom regarding my pigeons which are at her place some 500 miles north of me.

I have a 12 yo. hen who is no longer laying as of several years ago in a coop with 5 others- no new birds.

"Ginger" has stopped flying this last week. She has been seen flying up to her cubby which is ~2' from ground, but that's it. Not sure if this was rapid or progressive- mom says she's spent a lot of time on top of the hutch the last few months.

Bird is alert and active otherwise. Eating/drinking. Weight normal. No breaks. No missing feathers. Droppings normal. Stable so far.

Taken to vet- they said she appeared fine. We requested blood panel anyway. Results came back with white blood cell count 3xs normal
They want X-ray taken and anesthesia.

Wondering why fecal wasn't on list of next steps. Nasties can be in normal looking droppings yeah?
Any reason to not do round if antibiotics?

Besides arthritis, tumor or cancer etc what point is X-ray?

I have Moxicillin, and 3 in 1 for cocci., canker, and worms.
Also have trimethoprim but its down south with me- but I could expedite it up there or try to locate something else.

Having mom check for sour crop and canker but I imagine the vet would have checked for that.

Anyone else have this experience and/or any ideas /suggestions. I'm guessing cancer =(

Thanks!

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Well first off, 3 in 1's are no good. They don't have enough of any one med in them to cure anything. I don't understand why the X-ray either. Doing a dropping sample would make more sense to me. If the vet didn't do a fecal or ask to, how do you know he checked for canker, yeast or anything else?
If I didn't know what it was, I would treat for canker and do 10 days of Baytril. Of course if giving Baytril, I would also give Nystatin or similar for yeast prevention. If no Baytril, then the Trimethoprim sulfer.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey there thanks for the response.

My birds have never had cocci, canker, or worms- got 3 in 1 as more of a preventative to give occasionally- never used it yet though. Thanks for heads up re: using it for treatment- i need to get a few more medicines that are more suitable.

I will be contacting vet tomorrow to find out what she did check and if I can get a fecal to her so I can get Ginger going on some meds.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Hey there thanks for the response.

I've never had cocci, canker, or worms- got 3 in 1 as more of a preventative to give occasionally- never used it yet though. Thanks for heads up re: using it for treatment- i need to get a few more medicines that are more suitable.

I will be contacting vet tomorrow to find out what she did check and if I can get a fecal to her so I can get Ginger going on some meds.

Yes, you really need separate meds for the different things. And I think the fecal would be good to get. Don't know why he didn't do that.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So a CBC was run.
They did not ask my mom if we wanted to run a panel or not.
No gram test for yeast or canker was done. I don't think they even actually opened her mouth and took a peek and smell.
I have been told a fecal is worthless because no new birds have been introduced and she is not free flying.

Rather than put her on antibiotics and run a panel they want an X-ray.
They will not let me use an abba or do they know what it is- and for the safety of the bird and their staff (attack pigeon?!) they will only X-ray under anesthesia. I told them I'd be going elsewhere then because anesthesia was unnecessary.

This is from the premier bird vet in central California- although not with the well know bird vet herself... A different vet there had my case.

Going to see if I can get my hands on trimethoprim tomorrow I hope.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I would find another vet.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can only get baytril today from a cat/dog vet I know who doesn't know birds but is willing to give me some meds- anyone know dosage for baytril? She was weighed in around 350 grams a few days ago.
He does not have Nystatin.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I would give 10 mg of the Baytril daily for 10 days. Nystatin can be bought at the drug store if the vet writes you a prescription for it. I have had vets do that for me.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have a white pigeon and it is not eating or drinking vary good. how do i know if it has cockcity? or what else it could be. I already isolated it from the others

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
You need to give more information than that. How old is he? Have you checked his throat for canker, although canker doesn't always show in the throat, it is a good place to start. How is he acting? Puffed up? Sleepy? Eyes closed.
Can you post a pic?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts