Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some young birds that gotta be over 31/2 months old. Ive had them since Dec 13. They are trapped trained and will come in when I shake the feed.
When I let them out They go to the roof of the loft or my roof. Once in a blue like today they will fly. They'll take there laps land on my roof I will shake the can and they will trap.
When are they really gonna start flying? Like when I open the avairy that they will take off? Not just sit around.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
some do some dont'. I have noticed really well breed homers or race birds really, tend to fly and start to route. mine, non racing homers do as yours do, a few laps and thats about it. soooo they need to be road training to get them flying. basket them up and take them away in the yard a few time to release them then across the street etc...move down the road farther and farther and they will get their flying time in to keep them in shape. or I have heard some will flag their birds, which is let them out get a flag on a long pole and wave it when they look like their going to land, keep flagging them till you think they have gotten enough fly time in. either way flying is what they are doing and that is keeping them in shape to go those long miles when you do a release from home.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I let them out should let them come out on there own like I do. Or like shoo them out. Because when I open the trap and the screen area they know its time to come out but like I said they will hang around. I am gonna start that road training to see what happens.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have some young birds that gotta be over 31/2 months old. Ive had them since Dec 13. They are trapped trained and will come in when I shake the feed.
When I let them out They go to the roof of the loft or my roof. Once in a blue like today they will fly. They'll take there laps land on my roof I will shake the can and they will trap.
When are they really gonna start flying? Like when I open the avairy that they will take off? Not just sit around.
They are still young and still learning their surroundings. Give them more time. They will start flying when they are ready. At 31 days old, their feathers might not be fully grown in yet.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
They are still young and still learning their surroundings. Give them more time. They will start flying when they are ready. At 31 days old, their feathers might not be fully grown in yet.
they are three and a half months old, not 31 days old, they are ready to get in the air.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
When I let them out should let them come out on there own like I do. Or like shoo them out. Because when I open the trap and the screen area they know its time to come out but like I said they will hang around. I am gonna start that road training to see what happens.
yes, let them come out on their own. when they are all out, then you can flag them. or like before start basket training, they will have no choice but to fly then, start slow. kind of like a human getting in shape, it takes time to build muscle. the further out you get the longer they will have to fly. but do not go too far too soon. side note: if they do seem sluggish, make sure they are dewormed and droppings look healthy.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right now I just have five 09's out. Mister hawk scared the others. Plus all my breeders. Just trying to get started. But like today they stood together and flew nice. I think its a matter of time . I have noticed everytime they have flown its been a little longer then the previous time they flew. They stay visible no routing.

Poop is good and dewormed. Nice strong birds. When there out they so like hyped up. When they take off. They dooo take off. Like I said I think its a matter of time.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Right now I just have five 09's out. Mister hawk scared the others. Plus all my breeders. Just trying to get started. But like today they stood together and flew nice. I think its a matter of time . I have noticed everytime they have flown its been a little longer then the previous time they flew. They stay visible no routing.

Poop is good and dewormed. Nice strong birds. When there out they so like hyped up. When they take off. They dooo take off. Like I said I think its a matter of time.
I think you are right!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Crate them and release them a few time in the yard to get use to being crated. then start taking them down the road.

·
Registered
470 Posts
ok...if u think they are really healthy........locked them up for two days and put 50% barely on their existing feeds..( but donot over fed them)..after 2days loft fly them,,,, i bit you a soon as you open that door this birds will be disappear at your site and start routing far enough and long enough that you will start pulling your hair and asking where the birds.... :D:D

p.s.... do not fly them along with old birds just strickly young birds....

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
If you do box them and take them away from home, make sure the sit in the box at least 30 min. at the release point. They need to orient thier self, I've found they home a lot better.
Dave

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well this is what happen today. I boxed them and they where hungry. Took them 1 block released them 1 came back quick. But it went back looking for the others. Which where on a roof. That bird flew off again came back but decided to go to the others again after a hawk went after it. I live in a very crowded neighborhood of one family homes. Anyway. I came in the house to get a cup of coffee. Go back out the birds are not on the roof. I see them flying. Im like ok. Then they disappear. Well I decide to drive around the block to see if any are around to see if I could spot them. Well I drive slowly around the house they where at. BINGO. Theres mister hawk on my check having lunch in the yard. I stood looking in amazement. Just couldnt beleive it. Especially that I found the hawk with one of the birds. This was about 10:30 am. I have seen 2 fly around and its 2:42pm and raining. Nothing yet.

G

·
just a tip for next time ,when you release your birds from a box for the first few times it really should be from within sight of the loft ,it just helps them get the idea of what to look for once they zoom out the little release door.. then you can start taking them further on down the road .. hope more of them do come back for you ,winter is a very bad time of year to train youngbirds though with all the hawks around .

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
If the hawk spooked them No telling how far they flew. Now Training young in hawk season in a risk but a need. If they trapping good. And have set the loft for say 10 days You can jump them up AT the loft They would make short passes then come back. Look for hawks first. The stronger they get in the wing and the farther they fly when spooked. Hope you get more back.

·
Registered
862 Posts
First thing I would like to say is you made a mistake crating your birds and releasing them in cloudy weather with rain or rain coming for thier first toss. Birds need to orient with the sun until the are trained for a little while. Next, make sure to watch your birds fly up and if they land chase them up,2 claps of the hand may help when you open the crate. Try crating your birds during sunny days and place the crate in the yard in the sun where they can see the loft and leave them there for an hour,then let them out so they know to come to the loft after being released from the crate.Call them in after you release them from the crate. Try this a couple of days then take them down the block and make sure they don't roof potatoe when you let them out. Hope you get your birds back, and look for hawks before you release them and then look again. Sorry for your loss.
Kurps

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is not the 1st time this lil stock have been chased by a hawk. But it was the worst. I think the rain held them up. It started raining like 1:30 and these all started like 10:30. They where really spooked. Even though it will be raining tommorrow. Lets see what happens.

·
Registered
594 Posts
How many did you get back? Today is going to be very windy and raining. Not the best conditions for them to return. I hope they make it. Sounds like that hawk has taken up residence - that won't help either. I've got my fingers crossed for you and them.

Hugh

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Very windy today. At least 30 MPH winds and rain. I had these birds for at least 4 weeks out. But no sign of them today. This Hawk is a resident . All the trees are bare now. But this 1 tree a pine that stays green 2 blocks over. Thats where it comes from. So it could hide there real good.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts