Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a pair of black pigeons and they been together for awhile now and ive noticed that there seems to b an egg in the hen. and i know this cause u can a big bulge were the egg is suppose to come out. and when i catch her u can feel the egg there. well its been like this for like 2 weeks now and i was wondering if the egg was stuck or is this normal. Because i just brought in a hen for my other cock and they are laying with no symtoms of a bulge in the lower part of the hen. Help im concerned about the hen....

·
Registered
628 Posts
My experience with egg bound birds have been they go down shortly after become bound up. They will not be able to walk, fly, or eat. Death is sure to come in short order if the bird is not relieved of the egg. 2 weeks is too long of a period for a bird to be egg bound and still survive in my opinion and experience. How old is this hen? Can you post a picture of her standing in a natural state (undisturbed) so we can see if her appearance shows signs of sickness?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
My experience with egg bound birds have been they go down shortly after become bound up. They will not be able to walk, fly, or eat. Death is sure to come in short order if the bird is not relieved of the egg. 2 weeks is too long of a period for a bird to be egg bound and still survive in my opinion and experience. How old is this hen? Can you post a picture of her standing in a natural state (undisturbed) so we can see if her appearance shows signs of sickness?
I agree. Something else is going on it sounds like. Maybe a tumor or something. I've never had an egg bound hen or even seen one, but I've been hanging around "this place" (LOL) long enough to know that a hen wouldn't become egg bound and still be around 2 weeks later.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I second the tumor guess, I would give her a break from the male bird, take her to the vet as soon as you can. hope she can get better.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts