Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I showed up to my mom and dad's pizza place in the morning today and our landlord had a surprise for me. In a box, sitting on a towel right by the oven were sex healthy pigeon babies, three about 15 days and three about 18 days old.

As it happened, today was the first time in the morining that one particular A/C unit was turned on (we've had a relatively cold spring here), and two pairs of adult pigeons were sucked into the intake and died in the fans. The babies, which had been under a panel of sorts were left safe, and the landlord took them down for me because I'd rescued one fallen baby from an earlier batch.

It seems all six were fed in the morning, but now are starting to beg for food.

The only problem is that I don't get off work for about another hour or two when someone else will come, and the pet store and supply stores are closed for the day, meaning I won't be able to get any Exact formula (or even a feeding syringe if they carry any) until tomorrow about 9:00 AM.

The six are warm and huddled together for now, I will pick up a heating pad on my way home, or after dropping them home. My only question is that can they survive the night? If it will help, I can feed them thawed, soft peas to the back of the throat if that will help them get through the night a little better. And is there any sort of substitute to a feeding syringe if I can't get my hands on one? And help on any of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

And also, my pet feral (who's a cock), who I rescued from here earlier, is about four months old now, and has a tendency to be aggressive towards any other human except for me, and when it comes to animals only really gets along with my cat and rabbit, and is deathly scared of any other bird (an incident with a magpie and crow when he was younger might have something to do with that lol). Do I have to worry about any form of aggression from him towards the babies? If there might be a risk, I'll leave them closed off using a box on top whenever I leave them alone.

So, to recap the issues I'm concerned about:

- them lasting through the night without any baby formula and on peas (they're only about 15-18 days old)
- absolutely ANY ideas on what to use as a substitute for a feeding syringe (hamster water bottle, etc?) because I was unable to find one when I was shopping for my first rescue
- aggression from my juvenile feral cock towards these feral chicks

Any advice you can give, whatsoever, will be a great help.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
The babies are plenty old enough to feed peas. Dad and Mom were not giving them crop milk any longer. They were feeding the babies whatever THEY found to eat, so that's not a problem. You'll have to give them a little water though. Maybe you can use a straw.......put finger over the end.........and just dribble it along the side of the beak and let them swallow. You MIGHT get the older ones to actually drink and you can TRY with the younger ones.....they may or may not take a drink.
I'd keep your bird away from these birds regardless of how he will react. You want to make sure these babies are good and healthy before you allow any contact between the two.
You should be able to find a syringe of some sort at a feed store or ask at a pharmacy. They may just give you a few.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, that's first on my list for tomorrow, then. I have a clean dropper in the house that was once used for children's medication. I'll clean it again to get rid of any residue that may be left over and I think that should suffice for now.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
OK, that's first on my list for tomorrow, then. I have a clean dropper in the house that was once used for children's medication. I'll clean it again to get rid of any residue that may be left over and I think that should suffice for now.
Just be sure not to squirt the water IN the mouth. You can drown them like that. Just dribble........they'll swallow. Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much, I'll keep that all in mind. And I'll post pictures of them later on when I get home.

And yeah, I think I'll need the luck. I found a single baby pigeon to be a handful, I wonder how I'll deal with six of them. lol

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Thanks very much, I'll keep that all in mind. And I'll post pictures of them later on when I get home.

And yeah, I think I'll need the luck. I found a single baby pigeon to be a handful, I wonder how I'll deal with six of them. lol
Oh, you'll deal just fine. We seem to find ways to do things that we just HAVE to do.;)
Look forward to the pictures. Bet they're a bunch of cutie pies.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts

Lol, don't worry, it's not much worse than one! It's really just a matter of setting up the assembly line and going down it with the food. :D I had six once of various ages (from tiny to three weeks) and it wasn't much longer to feed them than it is for one or two. They learn to eat faster in groups, too, which is a bonus. :D Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts