Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I just have a few questions regarding OB racing.

I won't be racing OB's till 2014 because 2013 is going to be my first year racing yb's after my attempt of flying yb's this year was destroyed when 14 of my 25 yb's just flew off one day while loft flying never to be seen again for no apparent reason :rolleyes:

However, in 2013 I am planning to breed 40-50 yb's of my own from 11-12 pairs, and probably going to get 20 yb's from club members to help fill in the ranks once they start depleting. Out of yb's that will be remaining after the 2013 season, I'll select the best ones to fly OB's in 2014.

If I have it down right, I could fly double widowhood if I wanted to because my flying loft has 3 sections. 1 for yb's, 1 for OB cocks, and 1 for OB hens. The yb and OB hen section would have box perches, and the OB cock section would have widowhood nest boxes. Is this correct?

Looking at the way my loft is built the yb and OB cock sections are both 8 feet long X 5 feet wide, and the OB hen section is 8 X 4. In the OB cock section I could have 8 next boxes on the back wall. Is it ok to have widowhood nest fronts on the side walls? I was hoping to have at least 12 widowhood nest boxes but I've seen that most people only have nest boxes on the back wall.

I was hoping to fly 12 cocks and 12 hens at the very least, which would make my OB team 24 birds. I don't want to fly just widowhood because I think its a waste of good hens, plus I don't want to breed from hens that have only proven themselves as YB's but as OB's too.

I have a lot of time to think about it all, about a year and a half to be exact, but I just want to know what direction I'm headed in. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
So you don't have a breeding section?

I think the best to handle your situation is to fly two old bird sections; one for widowhood cock (with dummy hens), one section for natural flying with hens (with dummy cocks), and one young bird section.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry forgot to mention that! I have a breeding loft that is 8 X 8 and has 11 individual breeding pens for 11 pairs. I also have an addition 8 X 4 breeding loft with 8 individual breeding pens at my disposal if I want. (Its going to house my white racing pigeon breeders in 2013 but if I see myself getting good results in racing, I may cut down the number of white racing pigeon breeders to accommodate more racing pigeons from racing lines.

So in all I have 5 sections in a suburban neighborhood that are relatively large in size. Some people wonder how I pull it off but the backyard isn't too small and the neighbors are nice :) Plus I've had birds on the property since I was in grade 2, so no one has minded them in the last 13 years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts